Jareth.Purcell

Enable Intel vPro KVM

This script enables KVM in the BIOS of a vPro enabled machine. It is intended to address the following issue where KVM is disabled in the BIOS following USB provisioning:

https://docs.labtechsoftware.com/knowledgebase/article/8317

LabTech disables the KVM button because the setting is set to false even though KVMView changes this setting when it connects to a machine.

I hope my fellow vPro enthusiasts find this useful!

JP

Enable Intel vPro KVM in BIOS.zip

Edited by Guest

No luck. Not sure if I missed anything. Steps I took to try to get it to work from scratch:

Reset provisioning on the computer from bios

Restarted

Re-provisioned via USB

Restarted

Ran a feature scan

Ran the script

Ran another feature scan

KVM still shows as disabled and the button is unavailable. I did find that if I change KVMEnabled in the database that the button becomes available and KVM works directly (since the computer is on the same network), but tunneling does not. It says: Unable to find intermediary computer.

The latter part is unrelated to your script, I'm sure, but thought I'd pass along the information.

EDIT: Thought I'd add that the script shows it is completing successfully. I put in the VPro password in the script arguments. When I left the field blank to test, it logged that the password wasn't entered and exited.

Output from status.txt: http://pastebin.com/NPs0U7fx

After testing, I think the problem is that the file is not encrypted and acuconfig.exe expects you to pass a decryption password. I've tried this on several machines without success. However, creating a delta change password that removes consent and is encrypted has been working for me, so this post was definitely helpful.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've uploaded a new copy of the script on my original post with the following revisions:

> Deletes existing status.txt file (output of ACUConfig generated by script).

> Checks for no output from ACUConfig (can indicate a failed provision under some circumstances).

> Included a step to enable the KVM button.

This script changes the state of KVM to enabled on the remote machine and enables the KVM button so that you can connect with KVMView. When KVMView connects to the machine it will automatically enable the redirector port.

JP

This is for use once the computer is already provisioned via usb. You provision aandwhen you do a feature scan in labtech it determines that admin mode was used but shows kvm enabled. When you use this script, it will run acuconfig to better allow labtech to detect that kvm is enabled. Just run another feature scan after running the script.

The updated script (yesterday) will enable KVM in the BIOS and update the database to enable the KVM button. Once you do that, connect through KVMView (KVM button in Intel vPro tab in LabTech). KVMView will enable the redirector port on the remote machine. One change from this version of the script from the old is that you do not want to run a "Feature Scan" in LabTech until you connect through KVMView. If you do run a feature scan before connecting through KVMView LabTech will re-disable the KVM button and you'll need to run the script again.

Steps:

1. Provision computer through USB to run in Admin Control Mode.

2. Run script against agent.

3. Connect to agent through KVM.

JP