lastdeadmouse

Cloud Server access

Why is it that we can't get direct server access when we're hosted? It would be incredibly beneficial to have, I don't know, a LT agent installed on the instance or SQL access or the marketplace or... fill in the blank, guys.

I have seen this frustration expressed by other members of this site. Not to ask a basic question, because I am pretty sure I know the answer, but what are you hoping to accomplish with this type of access? Also, how does the type of access you have today differ from a SalesForce or ConnectWise? These are the type of discussions I definitely want to have on this board as the more people voice their opinions about the cloud platform the more likely it is for the LT employees who check this site to actually make a change.

Well, the 3 most obvious potential accomplishments, at least to me, have become rather apparent in my first 4 months of use.

The first is advance reporting and nearly limitless possibilities of SQL.

The second is the ability to install ANY plugin. There hasn't been much that I've been kept from, but there is one that would be immensely helpful.

The third, though a bit of a mystery to me, would be the marketplace. It seems to be the only easy way to share hardware monitoring templates, and I have no idea what else I'm missing.

I would believe the general limitation of access to Cloud is to ensure the production host environment is kept in good working order. I envision lots of LTAdmin's of various levels of skill, trying to customize and modify their instance of LabTech without the ability to recover and restore any "oops" changes they may make. Not all administrators are created equal and I'd ask you: "Would you be trusting enough to give direct server access to your clients?"

It seems like the limitations you are seeking to have removed are those in the product and that it isn't control over the host you require, but the ability to utilize aspects of LabTech that are restricted to performing them on the host.

Well, the 3 most obvious potential accomplishments, at least to me, have become rather apparent in my first 4 months of use.

The second is the ability to install ANY plugin. There hasn't been much that I've been kept from, but there is one that would be immensely helpful.

The third, though a bit of a mystery to me, would be the marketplace. It seems to be the only easy way to share hardware monitoring templates, and I have no idea what else I'm missing.

What specific plugins are you unable to install in the cloud? Geek plugins or certified plugins?

I must say i completely agree with you.

One of the powers of labtech is the custom plugins available from marketplace or even this forum. For us we are looking to migrate the cloud hosted labtech server to a Azure hosted server of our own.

Especially the LTShare dropbox "workaround" feels very wrong to me. I get the feeling the hosted Labtech platform has been rushed in to production at to much cost. I hope to hear from other about their impressions.

There's a few reasons why I wouldn't want access to the infrastructure:

1. Security of my clients and my data by keeping those ports closed

2. Consistent delivery and configurations of all cloud instances

3. Third party plugins are not supported by LT and installing them into their stack can compromise the entire stack. Big security no-no plus the unexpected behavior of the unsupported code. It would be pretty easy to write something malicious and compromise the entire environment.

4. You can do everything you want with SQL within LabTech, if you know how and where.

Other providers will not give you access to anything either on their cloud and are a lot more locked down in other regards. This is common security practice and the only solution is to buy a server and a static IP and bring it on prem. :)

All valid points Brandon and I agree that others are more restricted. However, as you put in #4, just about anything can be done in SQL within LabTech. Does that not hurt your stance on #1? Most cloud security breaches originate from within the organization and not outside. Also, with access should not some of the responsibility fall onto the me at that point? If I had access to certain features and went in and blew something up, would that not be my fault and not LabTech?

It absolutely does and we have internal security policies to address it. Also user access to those functions are restricted as much as possible, but yes we are responsible for our staff and their actions and we have ourselves covered for that (over 100 employees access the system). You're right though that most security breaches are from the inside which is why I'm looking forward to the security overhaul that will be done within LabTech too.

I am a little leery now about the LT hosted solution. We don't have nearly as many end points as Brandon, but we do have a lot of very confidential information that is within LT. I could not log in to LT this morning. After fighting with their not so good support of 'It works fine on our end' I did a little digging into our firewall. I found that the IP address used on our hosted server was blocked due to a port scan run at 12:20 this morning.

I talked with the tech support to find out that we are hosted by Amazon. I have read the E'ULA for Amazon and I am not real exited that my client's confidential info is on an Amazon server. This is becoming way too uncomfortable for me.

How can I look my clients in the eyes and tell them their systems are secure when I can't talk to the person pushing the buttons at who knows where?

I think I am going to look at an on prem approach. We have the server capacity to do this in-house. What are the drawbacks?

VM2IT, pardon my confusion but are you concerned about Amazon's security and their agreement? Do you host any other software in the cloud? I would imagine that Amazon's EULA is not that different from an Azure, IBM, or Rackspace EULA without looking into the details. With cloud services there is always an inherent risk but I look at it like this, it is better to be housed with a named provider like Amazon, Microsoft, etc. then a lower tiered provider that I have never heard of.

VM2IT, pardon my confusion but are you concerned about Amazon's security and their agreement? Do you host any other software in the cloud? I would imagine that Amazon's EULA is not that different from an Azure, IBM, or Rackspace EULA without looking into the details. With cloud services there is always an inherent risk but I look at it like this, it is better to be housed with a named provider like Amazon, Microsoft, etc. then a lower tiered provider that I have never heard of.

Or option 3: Build your own cloud. Most smaller partners will not be able to afford this, however LT could build out their own private cloud to fill this. There's considerable investment, but it also eliminates any of the risks associated with hosting on a public cloud.

Guest sherlockossa

This is being piloted right now and uses ScreenConnect and works well. You are presented with a limited session when you login but yo are able to have console access to your server. I would contact support for more info.

I wouldn't mind having LabTech relinquish control over our AWS cloud server so I could make SQL changes directly to it. For us, having 2 days of downtime on a weekend isn't a huge deal. Most of our offices are closed. But I would be able to get a better handle on what's going on in the background. Create an AMI or multiple AMI's so if you make any critical mistakes, just restore it and have it up in an hour...

Does anyone know what tier of servers they are using on AWS to host a typical install?