ds5150

Google drive/ Dropbox Problems

Is anyone else that uses the cloud platform having trouble with the google drive or dropbox on the server?

I had google drive and it apparently kept logging off on the server every 3 or 4 days. Never disconnected on any of my machines that we use for control panel.

Was told they did not have that problem with dropbox so i set up a dropbox account and they set it up on the server. Worked fine for about 3 days then apparently has disconnected on the server again.

I was just wondering if anyone else was having the same issues or if i am just jinxed.

PM sent..

We have seen issues where Dropbox stops syncing and needs to be restarted... however, it typically does not happen very frequently. Google Drive is much more notorious for this. We have been exploring and testing multiple other solutions for accessing the LTShare remotely, but nothing has been finalized. We hope to have something available in 2015.

We use a Dropbox-like tool as well, called SyncedTool from Anchor/eFolder. Seems to work really well with the self hosted LT. We mainly use it to automate offsite backups of LT.

About 6 or so times in the last year we have had Dropbox just stop working. LT finally seems to be keeping a record of the password we provide for syncing. In the past when it broke, they would diagnose it as broken, then say they needed us to provide the password. It was often broken for 24 hours or more.

Tired of this, I setup a global script to create a new .tmp file on the LT Server once an hour, and then retrieve an RSS feed for folder updates from DropBox. (Dropbox supports enabling an RSS feed URL to report file activity like file create, delete, etc.). I pull the HTTP URL to get the RSS data, and loop over the tmp DropBox files names until I see one of their names in the RSS Feed (indicating successful sync). On success, I purge all the tmp files. On fail, I leave all the .tmp files and I schedule the script to run again after 10 minutes. Either way I write a new .tmp file and exit.

An hour later or 10 minutes later the script runs again, pulls the RSS, and looks for anything matching the .tmp file name. etc. If the number of files gets over a certain amount (3?) I generate an email to tell me Dropbox is broken. On the next success (when over 3 files were seen) I send a recovery email.

It's been ok for the last couple of months, but I was considering making it send the alert email straight to LT Support if it kept breaking. :)

Darren

About 6 or so times in the last year we have had Dropbox just stop working. LT finally seems to be keeping a record of the password we provide for syncing. In the past when it broke, they would diagnose it as broken, then say they needed us to provide the password. It was often broken for 24 hours or more.

Tired of this, I setup a global script to create a new .tmp file on the LT Server once an hour, and then retrieve an RSS feed for folder updates from DropBox. (Dropbox supports enabling an RSS feed URL to report file activity like file create, delete, etc.). I pull the HTTP URL to get the RSS data, and loop over the tmp DropBox files names until I see one of their names in the RSS Feed (indicating successful sync). On success, I purge all the tmp files. On fail, I leave all the .tmp files and I schedule the script to run again after 10 minutes. Either way I write a new .tmp file and exit.

An hour later or 10 minutes later the script runs again, pulls the RSS, and looks for anything matching the .tmp file name. etc. If the number of files gets over a certain amount (3?) I generate an email to tell me Dropbox is broken. On the next success (when over 3 files were seen) I send a recovery email.

It's been ok for the last couple of months, but I was considering making it send the alert email straight to LT Support if it kept breaking. :)

Darren

Hey Darren,

I have been working on a new monitoring process for Dropbox that is testing to see if a login is persistent. We set Dropbox up to run as a Windows service on our machines, so that the application can run without a user being logged in to it. However, Dropbox does not have any registry values, or really any good indicators that a login is intact (I think the login sometimes breaks when Dropbox releases a software update). The only thing we can see remotely is if the dropbox.exe process is running.

I did, however, find that there is a file in the appdata directory called config.dbx that updates pretty often, as long as the login is valid. So I have set up a remote powershell monitor to check the "last modified" value of that file, and send an alert to either myself or the Support team if the file is not up to date. This will allow us to repair the connection pretty quickly, assuming we have the credentials on file.

I just finished it before Automation Nation, and spent a good amount of time testing it yesterday. So I will have it up and running by end of day today.

-Charles