assettech

ConnectWise aquires ScreenConnect

I figured this is relevant since many people use both of these programs. Is on the ScreenConnect web page and go an email from LabTech about it as well today.

Hope they do a great integration. Looking forward to this

Patience shall be rewarded, pilot is testing some new things. 8-)

We've been testing it out and it works fantastically. The only problem we've had so far is just that the built-in messaging causes a "critical stop" sound to play. Which is only an issue because we modified it to be like LabVNC and open a message box as soon as you connect. For each message, though, it just continues to make that jarring noise.

FYI, in the email Labtech just sent out, the fine print states:

Note: LabTech integration only supports Windows. ScreenConnect features such as ad hoc support and meetings are not included with LabTech 10.

I was hoping to decommission our existing ScreenConnect server, but looks like we'll be keeping it around for ad hoc support.

I was hoping to decommission our existing ScreenConnect server, but looks like we'll be keeping it around for ad hoc support.

The integration is based on your SC server, so I would highly recommend keeping it around :)

Well, I'm still sitting in a trial I started between the LMI price increase and the CW announcement. I'm really happy with SC, but I'm guessing I'll have to bite the bullet buy a few licences to continue adhoc support?

Why oh why mess about with what was is awesome product! SC done everything you needed out of the box and i see no reason why that shouldn't have come over "as is" rather than cut it down. It just needed integrating. We were led to believe that it was going to be a free addon which it is when cut down so does that mean the bits that are cut away will become chargable eventually or do we still have to carry on with out existing licenses to get full functionality? Surely the right way would have been to integrate SC as a whole and then start adding features and even if you have to allow upgrades or small extra costs for newer features. I still don't like that idea because part of our Labtech bills we pay are towards each and every update/upgrade. LT is not software you purchase it's an ecosystem buy buy into.

Sorry for the rant guys, but man alive c'mon.

Well, I'm still sitting in a trial I started between the LMI price increase and the CW announcement. I'm really happy with SC, but I'm guessing I'll have to bite the bullet buy a few licences to continue adhoc support?

If you can hold out until LabTech 10 is GA you'll get an unlimited use license. Fully functional unlimited license.

Why oh why mess about with what was is awesome product! SC done everything you needed out of the box and i see no reason why that shouldn't have come over "as is" rather than cut it down. It just needed integrating. We were led to believe that it was going to be a free addon which it is when cut down so does that mean the bits that are cut away will become chargable eventually or do we still have to carry on with out existing licenses to get full functionality? Surely the right way would have been to integrate SC as a whole and then start adding features and even if you have to allow upgrades or small extra costs for newer features. I still don't like that idea because part of our Labtech bills we pay are towards each and every update/upgrade. LT is not software you purchase it's an ecosystem buy buy into.

Sorry for the rant guys, but man alive c'mon.

This is free and is still the EXACT same product! I have an unlimited license (did I mention FREE?), just as you'll receive once LabTech 10 goes GA. It's still a standalone fully functional product on it's own server that a plugin on your LT server will interface to it. I don't know where you're getting your info, but it's the opposite of what I am using as part of pilot.

If you can hold out until LabTech 10 is GA you'll get an unlimited use license. Fully functional unlimited license.

Labtech have stated that you can not do ad-hoc with this in their press releases havent they?

Or have you heard differently?

I think they mean LT10 cannot start AD-HOC sessions, should still be able to login to the SC portal and create a session.

Labtech have stated that you can not do ad-hoc with this in their press releases havent they?

Or have you heard differently?

So to clarify, you can't use QuickConnect for this....yet... but being you have a fully functional SC server just configure it for regular port 80 (if new) and use it for ad-hoc like you would another product. Does that make sense?

This is all conjecture. Any beta testers here that actually know what's going on?

No conjecture, I've been piloting this since the beginning.

The plugin points to your SC server and you just provide the URL, port, and credentials. It's pretty easy and works well. Fast too and not dependent on the LabTech agent making it valuable when the agent isn't checking in and you need to troubleshoot it.

I'm a cloud user and have ScreenConnect on the beta, a few things I've noticed so far

1. User in ScreenConnect is always your admin user

2. No prompt for permission currently possible, so prompt then allow or prompt then deny depending on your clients requirements

3. No ticket integration, ScreenConnect sessions do not (as far as I can tell) trigger an event to create a ticket to track who, when, and for how long

4. No removal of VNC . .

5. No Company information passed to ScreenConnect, all systems currently show as the pc name, no company name.

6. Lack of Client for Android, iOS, MacOS and *nix within Labtech

7. Somehow Integrate MDM and ScreenConnect not a new app, MDMScreen?

These are a few minor issues that I'm sure will be fixed in time, if you are part of the beta please make a feature request using the CP.labtechsoftware.com if you agree these are things that should be addressed.

Now what can I say good about it?

Well, I love it.

1. Fast, extremely fast for both connecting and access

2. Reliable, I am always able to connect no issues

3. Portable, they are discussing the ability if you want to separate ScreenConnect from your LT server to a separate hosts, this obtain remains available at this time.

4. Direct access to the full ScreenConnect tool, you can create unattended installers, support codes, calling cards and multiple users to be able to fully leverage ScreenConnect (on port 8040)

5. Toolbox is a great feature, automatically uploads files and runs them on the client machine.

6. I may finally be able to say good bye to Logmein.

Overall, my experiences are positive!

PS. has anyone seen the new LT interface coming hopefully this fall? All shiny and stuff.

Hope the in-line responses help you with your concerns.

1. User in ScreenConnect is always your admin user (this is simply for the integration, the permissions within LabTech regulate whether or not your technicians/users have access to the ScreenConnect button)

2. No prompt for permission currently possible, so prompt then allow or prompt then deny depending on your clients requirements (Stay Tuned for updates to the LabTech Roadmap)

3. No ticket integration, ScreenConnect sessions do not (as far as I can tell) trigger an event to create a ticket to track who, when, and for how long (Stay Tuned for updates to the LabTech Roadmap)

4. No removal of VNC . . (This can be done with Templates inside LabTech)

5. No Company information passed to ScreenConnect, all systems currently show as the pc name, no company name. (No API's existed when integration was developed, (Stay Tuned for updates to the LabTech Roadmap))

6. Lack of Client for Android, iOS, MacOS and *nix within Labtech (There should be, at the very least, documentation on work arounds)

7. Somehow Integrate MDM and ScreenConnect not a new app, MDMScreen? (Hmm.... This could get interesting)

For mobile support you could look at adding this to the web control center by pulling the config info from the plugin tables and creating the URL on the fly based on machine name.