c.krupke

ScreenConnect / exclude several systems

Hey Guys,

is there any possibility to exclude several systems from getting screenconnect installed automatically by labtech?

thanks in advance, Carsten

I'm currently working through this problem as it was auto deployed to a site with 144 agents and they want it removed.

LT support say there is no mechanism to exclude clients, sites or agents. This is a massive oversight.

To remove, you have to open each agent individually, right click the ScreenConnect icon and choose disable. Another massive oversight.

A very clever LT consultant suggested to me that this simply updates this registry key - is HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\LabTech\Service\Plugins\ScreenConnect\AllowInstall - to 0. I've written a basic registry update script to do this, but I'm currently trying to work out how to get the LT agent detect this registry change and remove the software. Disclaimer - updating the registry is dangerous!

I'd welcome thoughts from any fellow LT'ers

hi smickers,

uninstall is done via the screenconnect console - very easily.

but if its uninstalled, lt is doing an install after a while.....

installation from lt is done by script, but i dont find it anywhere....

Then pushing out new versions of SC can be fun as well. Had some pain with that.

You can modify the install script so that the customer doesnt get an icon - but that is global so no one has an icon. Which I think is better than the default!

I am not sure if they actually state that anywhere that all the machines are automagically installed and that they will have a new icon on them...which customers are likely to be suspicious about.

I can't help with stopping autodeployment, but to the person who was uninstalling on one agent at a time you can easily script this. Uninstall from the icon on one machine, right click the uninstall command in the command tab, select create script, run script on whole site.

I have had to do this for several sites that did not deploy correctly initially due to some firewall settings, I created a script for each install, uninstall, and reinstall and they all work as expected. (Just FYI it seems reinstall is not the same as uninstall then install, reinstall would not fix bad installs for me)

I'll have to look into our configuration, but we were able to get the install command to not do anything and rewrote it into a script. With that we created all the EDF's for customization needed and have been deploying automatically only to those we are allowed to. It's been working well, we have a lot of sensitive customers from the looks as we've only got 8k+ endpoints deployed leaving around 5k without

Then pushing out new versions of SC can be fun as well. Had some pain with that.

You can modify the install script so that the customer doesnt get an icon - but that is global so no one has an icon. Which I think is better than the default!

I am not sure if they actually state that anywhere that all the machines are automagically installed and that they will have a new icon on them...which customers are likely to be suspicious about.

Could you explain or point to documentation for not showing the system tray icon? I keep getting people sending messages on it that don't create tickets so they get mad when no one responds to them.

Thanks Brandon, as for pushing down to the endpoints, how should this be done, like via LT script to replace the file?

If that is the case I think I wil try to setup some edfs and automation around this so I can have a group that gets the tray icon and a group that does not and have them weekly or so run the script to update the file so if I need to make changes in the future I only need update the files on our side.

If you upgrade your ScreenConnect server the agents don't automatically upgrade.

This will allow you to Auto-Update your ScreenConnect Agents

1. The 'web.config' is created upon installation.

2. File Location on the ScreenConnect Server- C:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenConnect\

3. The following key can be updated (Change from FALSE to TRUE)

i.

Ok coconuts, I assume that was meant for me? Does that mean that the updated app.config will be downloaded as well?

Should that be changed back to false after completion of upgrading the clients?

Wow I normally answer more questions than I answer but I think I'm a bit behind everyone else with regard to SC.

@rgreen83 - the updated app.config will be downloaded on a reinstall. You can reinstall from the LT computer screen, or the screenconnect server. I've found the easiest way is to select all from the screenconnect server. I can't find a way to do it with a command or script in LT yet.

Self Quote™ :)

I can't help with stopping autodeployment, but to the person who was uninstalling on one agent at a time you can easily script this. Uninstall from the icon on one machine, right click the uninstall command in the command tab, select create script, run script on whole site.

I have had to do this for several sites that did not deploy correctly initially due to some firewall settings, I created a script for each install, uninstall, and reinstall and they all work as expected. (Just FYI it seems reinstall is not the same as uninstall then install, reinstall would not fix bad installs for me)

I'm on mobile but, we created an edf ,a search , a group, and a script.

Check the box for the Edf "deny screen connect" , the search looks for this, the group auto joins, the script runs in the group to set the isInstalled to 1.

Labtech will think that screen connect is installed when it isn't and will not try to push. Hope it helps.

Like tcarothers, I used an EDF, search, group, script combo. I default to disabled and enable by client in an EDF checkbox. But I made my script to issue the Screenconnect command with a 0 which commands it to uninstall and disable. This seems to be working, but there is a window after Labtech installs on an agent where screenconnect installs, before the group script disables it again. I wish I could get rid of this.