Michael Priest

Discover Keys - Product Key Collector

Hi All,

The Discover Keys plugin is an alternate to Product Key collection script provided by ConnectWise  the purpose of this plugin is to collect product keys using either Produ-Key (Free) or Recover Keys (Paid) and populate the information collected into Product Keys Table in Automate.

The plugin isn't 100% finished and is a little rough around the edges in some aspects (this has been the case for a while, i know!) but it works and unfortunately I've had to focus efforts elsewhere.

There is currently no Documentation available for this integration but i believe it to be simple enough to install and configure, a highlight of the features is below

Availability

Install this integration through my Plugin Installer

• All Installs will activate in Trial mode
  • At this stage the plugin is operating in an Extended Trial mode through to the end of 2019, this could potentially change but you will be notified
  • Currently no documentation is available.

Current Version Info

Discover Keys - 1.0.1.8
Discover Keys Remote Agent - 1.0.1.8

Features

• Script Free - All Product Key collection is handled as an Inventory Process on a schedule, currently this hooks into the "Software Inventory" but plans will be to split it out into it's own schedule
  • ProduKey - Free Product Key Recovery utility, ProduKey executable is transferred from the Automate Server to the Computer.
  • Recover Keys Version(s) 11.0, 10.0, 9.0 and 8.0 - a more advanced collection method using a licensed product which provides greater detail and supports a larger product range, again files are transferred directly from the Automate server to the Computer.
  • Product Keys Tab - Added a tab to the Computer Screen to show Product Keys directly relating to the computer you are viewing.

Setup

1. Install the Plugin using the Plugin Installer listed above, wait 60 seconds.
  2. Reload your Automate Control Center.
  3. Navigate to the System Dashboard > Config > Integration > Discover Keys and select your desired options.
  4. Done!

Notes

• Recover Keys 11.0, 10.0, 9.0 and 8.0 are Supported.
  • Failing to enter a Recover Keys Serial number will result in Recover Keys running in a Demo Mode which will return partial key information.
  • Entering an incorrect Recover Keys Serial number will result in Recover Keys running in a Demo Mode which will return partial key information.
  • There is an option to Disable the In-Built Product Key collection script.
  • Recover Keys files will be automatically downloaded to your LT Share for distribution.
  • ProduKey files will be automatically downloaded to your LT Share for distribution.
  • The Product Keys Tab on the Computer Screen has linked permissions directly back to the users right's to View or modify Product keys (Client Level Permission), the TAB will NOT appear if the user does not have rights to view Product Key,
Edited by Michael Priest
Updated for v1.0.1.8

Michael,

Another great job! Plugin is working great. New interface is slick. Techs have found being able to see the product keys by computer very helpful. The General options are quite flexible as well making this plugin versatile and a must have. Thanks Michael for all your hard work. :D

-jeff

Recover Keys version 8 is required, as for the licensing model.. well it will work with any licensed version but for use in an MSP environment you should have the MSP License.

Is there anything, in either the plugin or Recover Keys itself, that would prevent me from using the Premium or Enterprise license vs the MSP license? $999 is pretty steep for a basic inventory tool. If I could get started with one of the cheaper licenses while I'm small and then graduate to the full MSP license once I onboard more clients, that would be great.

I can't comment for Recover Keys, but the plugin it self does not validate the license in anyway it just passes it through to Recover Keys itself and uses it during the execution of the application.

My understanding of Recover Keys is the Command Line functionality becomes available at the enterprise level which is what the plugin will use so i do not believe the premium license would work.

MPriest if I understand your response you are saying the Enterprise License will work instead of the MSP license?

Technically it would as there is no functionality differences between the Enterprise and MSP Versions, there is however a morale / eligibility difference between these licenses.

Just a quick aside on this -- As IT professionals we're supposed to be "Model Citizens"

If you can't afford to properly license a tool, then you don't deserve to be using the tool. If we stop paying people to develop "Useful Software" to make our jobs and lives easier and more effective, then we're shooting ourselves in the foot.

Just a little bit of Moral compass on folks talking about skirting licensing.

Just a quick aside on this -- As IT professionals we're supposed to be "Model Citizens"

If you can't afford to properly license a tool, then you don't deserve to be using the tool. If we stop paying people to develop "Useful Software" to make our jobs and lives easier and more effective, then we're shooting ourselves in the foot.

Just a little bit of Moral compass on folks talking about skirting licensing.

Totally agree. +1

I'm currently' in LT 2013 at the moment waiting on an upgrade but I plan on installing this ASAP.

I see this is just for testing/trial though, when do you plan to release this for purchase?

Any idea on a price?

Also, what's the differences in using the Produ-Key vs Recover Keys?

Thanks for any info!

Hi There,

This is still in testing / trial stages.. at this stage i've not heard much of any feedback from those that are using the integration so i have to assume no news is good news but it will likely stay in a trial stage for another a month or so due to a busy schedule. as for the difference between Produ-Key vs Recover Keys, they are two separate products and Recover Keys will collect alot more products and information associated with them.

I'm currently' in LT 2013 at the moment waiting on an upgrade but I plan on installing this ASAP.

I see this is just for testing/trial though, when do you plan to release this for purchase?

Any idea on a price?

Also, what's the differences in using the Produ-Key vs Recover Keys?

Thanks for any info!

Hi Michael, thanks for the tool. Just installed it. Will let you know how it works.

Thanks,

Ryan

I tried to install it yesterday, but my cloud server's iis locked up, and when restarted, wasn't there. Not saying it was related, but it might be.

Tried to install this on our cloud server, and even though it looks like the plugin installed ok, when clicking on the plugin's tab it would seem its failing to contact the licencing server? Seems to be the case with the other plugins also from MPriest on our system. Any ideas anybody at all? Ta!

Tried to install this on our cloud server, and even though it looks like the plugin installed ok, when clicking on the plugin's tab it would seem its failing to contact the licencing server? Seems to be the case with the other plugins also from MPriest on our system. Any ideas anybody at all? Ta!

Send me an email with some details and we can setup a time to look at this as this shouldn't be happening.

Cheers,

Michael

I ran a Resend Everything on a server to see if this was working and i get this error:

Parameters: Tools\recoverkeys\x64\sqlite3-x64.ddl|%ltsvcdir%\recoverkeys\sqlite3-x
Output: ERR Could not Download file /Transfer/Tools\recoverkeys\x64\sqlite3-x64.ddl

Hi All,

You will likely get a popup today saying the Discover Keys trial expired, please ignore this i've extended it out for another 2 months, it may take a few hours to update in the system though. as for the website i've checked this over and haven't seen any issues, what issue are you getting?

Hi All,

You will likely get a popup today saying the Discover Keys trial expired, please ignore this i've extended it out for another 2 months, it may take a few hours to update in the system though. as for the website i've checked this over and haven't seen any issues, what issue are you getting?

What's up with that Michael....haha. Seriously, thanks for resolving so quickly. This is a great plugin, but would expect nothing less from you :P

-jeff