danhenrydesign

ScreenConnect Integration Mac / Linux

Hi all,

I was lamenting the fact that LT10 didn't include a one-click launcher for ScreenConnect when it was a Mac or Linux Client. Given ScreenConnect's very cross-platform nature, I found this hard to believe. After a little research, I found a way to very simply enable it on a machine-by-machine basis. If you have all Mac / Linux clients this is going to be a pain - but if you only have a handful it's not so bad.

I think this goes without saying, but you'll be editing the database directly which can be dangerous. Make a backup and then tread lightly!

1) Install ScreenConnect on your non-Windows machine as described in KB: https://docs.labtechsoftware.com/knowledgebase/article/8969

2) Select the computer you want to link in your ScreenConnect portal and copy the GUID in the URL.

image.png

3) Open your LT SQL Database, Open the 'computers' table and find the 'ComputerID' of the computer you selected in ScreenConnect

image.png

4) Open the 'plugin_screenconnect_scinstalled' table. Add a new row that has the 'ComputerId' from Step 3, the value '1' for 'IsSCInstalled' and the GUID from Step 2 in 'SessionGUID'.

image.png

5) Commit the changes to your database, switch to Control Center and Reload System Cache on the Tools menu. When you open that computer in LT, you should be able to hit the ScreenConnect launcher and jump right into your Mac or Linux machine.

If it's really this simple, I don't know why it didn't make it into the first release of LT10. (Maybe not enough time to test?) I've successfully tried this on multiple Mac machines, but it seems like it should work for any ScreenConnect device. If someone has a chance to test a Linux box, let me know how it goes!

Dan,

Great job documenting the process....now I don't have too...LOL. I'm sure others will find this very useful.

FYI - There are times where the LabTech installation does fail on and agent and indicates that SC is installed but won't launch. In these instances, you will need to go in to the LT DB to the plugin_screenconnect_scinstalled table, and navigate to the agent ID of the failed computer. You will likely see that the IsSCInstalled value is 1 and the GUID is all zero's. If this it the case remove the row in the table or set the value of IsSCInstalled to 0 and update/save changes. Reload your LT Cache and re-open the agent computer and you can now redeploy SC to agent.

-jeff

Sure it's coming - but the majority of partners don't even have LT10 yet...let alone waiting until Q3/Q4 2015 for 10.5 to start its slow rollout. Hopefully this continues to help partners in the meantime!

Sure it's coming - but the majority of partners don't even have LT10 yet...let alone waiting until Q3/Q4 2015 for 10.5 to start its slow rollout. Hopefully this continues to help partners in the meantime!

The update to the ScreenConnect integration plugin is due out with LabTech 10.5. It is actually due out much sooner.

ScreenConnect/LabTech integration that supports Mac Deployment is currently in Pilot and due to be released soon. The plugin is not bundled with LabTech 10.5, it will actually be released sooner.

This would not be very difficult to auto populate. The guid is stored in /opt/screenconnect-123456789/ClientLaunchParameters.txt (where the '123456789' corresponds to your SC installation - it changes from installation to installation)

The file starts with something like this: ?s=793c8e05-0b99-a274-9ba2-b4e3ae6f841c

I only have a single linux machine in our LT installation so its not much use to me but I can't imagine it would take more than an hour to write a script to take the contents of this file, pull out the few bytes at the beginning, extract the guid and insert it into the table.

Once done, you could schedule the script to run on all linux/mac machines with SC installed, say, once a day. Rerunning the script once a day would allow for the guid to be changed in the case of reinstallation.

This integration isn't perfect as the guid would only be populated or corrected after running the script, so you'd have to be aware of how this worked, but it should work fine.