Vitaliy S.

[GA] Veeam Endpoint Backup for LabTech

Hi guys,

Just wanted to start a discussion regarding Veeam Endpoint Backup and possible integration with LabTech.

If you're not aware, we have recently released a free backup product for protection of user endpoints > Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE

I would appreciate to hear your wishlist of features you believe are must have in the first version of the plug-in. We already have an existing topic in Veeam Community forums > Feature Request - Labtech Plugin Integration, so if you have anything to add, please do ;)

Thanks!

Update (September, 17th)

Veeam Endpoint Backup for LabTech has just gone live and can be downloaded via this link.

Edited by Guest

Have you guys added any command line options to this product yet?

We have been playing around with it during the beta but its almost useless if theres no command line options.

Well...I'm not sure about the command line, but in the plug-in for Endpoint Backup we will have a bunch of predefined scripts to install/remove/update the software in the silent mode and then you will be able to centrally manage it via LabTech control center UI. For example, you will be able not only to review the global stats for the backup jobs, but configure one or more Endpoints from Client/Location nodes.

Is this what you're after? If not, then can you please tell me how do you use these command lines in LabTech today?

Vitaliy S.,

A couple of wish items for this plugin:

Install and Uninstall Script of the Endpoint Backup

Ability to configure and backup remotely though plugin

Ability to perform restorations through plugin

Monitoring and alerting

Reporting

Ticketing options

Thanks.

-jeff

Hi Jeff,

What type of restore are you referring to? FLR, volume? What is the workflow when user asks you to perform the restore operation for him?

Thanks!

Hi Vitaliy. In our situation, what we like in the plugins, is to replicate whatever functionality is on the actual application. The idea being we dont need to actually log on to the machine to action these things.

Regards Peter.

Hi Peter!

Yes, in the upcoming version of the integration, we are planning to have all functionality available in the plug-in, but for remote restores. The reason for this is that, to the best of my knowledge, FLR operations will be done by the user, as only he knows what file is missing and can search through the restore points. As to volume restores, then I'm not sure how this is going to fly on the remote computers.

Let me know what are you thoughts on this. Thanks!

Im just downloading the application to give it a whirl, may have more to comment later.

For now just wanted to add that in regards to FLR, in my experience as an MSP the end user would never, ever do a restore of any kind. This is what they pay us for, wouldn't know how if they wanted to, and we don't want them doing it either as we prefer all of our tools to be as invisible to the end user as possible unless we can brand it. I don't even want them seeing a tray icon, if they can see it or click it they will try to break or call and ask questions about it. This is why we have labtech so I can do everything I want from behind the scenes without interrupting their work.

For now just wanted to add that in regards to FLR, in my experience as an MSP the end user would never, ever do a restore of any kind.

I understand that for volume and bare metal recovery, however about FLR operation I still have doubts on how would MSP know what to restore (what file/what date etc.). Currently, we are not planning to provide this feature in the first release. If you could provide me more feedback and more details on the actual workflow, it would help me to justify adding it into the next update.

I don't even want them seeing a tray icon, if they can see it or click it they will try to break or call and ask questions about it.

We will have a read-only mode for Endpoint Backup to address this scenario ;)

Hi Vitaliy. Commonly the user who has 'lost' a file will call us and request the file to restored. If we are lucky they will know where the file is actually stored and the name of it, sometimes they don't know these things! They just open the file from previously used or something like that.

That's our experience anyway, I'm sure we would not be alone.

Regards Peter.

Peter, seems like there is a need for a file search engine (like we have in Veeam B&R) to make it really easy for MSPs to restore a file. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this.

I'll just second what rgreen83 and peterm have said. Users will (and should) call us for assistance with restores. File search would be a very nice addition as well.

Hi Jeff,

What type of restore are you referring to? FLR, volume? What is the workflow when user asks you to perform the restore operation for him?

Thanks!

Vitaliy,

Thanks for the reply. Typically for most of our end users, they call us when they have a file they need restored. We could certainly spend time training them, but we have found over the years, even when I client has been trained, they still prefer to call us and have us do the restoration. Having the option available for EU to do it, is good, I just don't think they will use it.

-jeff

Thanks, Jeff. Have you seen our 1-click FLR capabilities from Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager for Veeam B&R? Are you looking for something similar to be available in the LabTech UI?

I will discuss this FR with our dev team for the next updates.

Is this plugin going to be designed in a way that we do not have to install Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager at each customer site?

Does this mean that the solution will work for customers that run free esxi?

I have it setup for a few of our customers who haven't signed their quotes for Veeam B&R. Most of them were using Server Backup since they refuse to pay money for anything. It works good for them, no where near as nice as B&R though, but that's to be expected.

It does not connect to an ESXi host at all. You run it in the GUEST OS's.

It does not connect to an ESXi host at all. You run it in the GUEST OS's.

I should have mentioned that. It is strickly a stripped down OS backup that just works. I've got it set up on a few servers and it's been running rock solid since the release date.

• Like 1