Vitaliy S.

[GA] Veeam Endpoint Backup for LabTech

Hi Tom,

You can create remote monitors based on the Windows event log, see this topic for more info > Backup job logs to file.

Can you please tell me how many endpoints you would like to monitor? You don't want to use our plug-in because you don't own LabTech yet or for some other reason?

Thanks!

No, actually the majority of the Veeam installs will be with Enterprise and Cloud backup to our datacenter and a very small subset, maybe 10 will just have Endpoint.

Ok, got it. I would still recommend using our plug-in for remote configuration and alerting on Veeam Endpoint Backups, however you can try to create your own monitors using the topic referenced above. Thanks!

I am having issues where this plugin is causing my Client and Location menus to take forever to come up. One thing I love that this plugin does is not display the tab if there are no endpoint machines at the client/location but this 'check' is really lagging these screens. If I had a choice of no tab or fast loading I would rather the fast loading.

Supports suggestion was to uninstall the plugin. There is no difference if I choose a location/client with 3 machines or 3K machines. Opening the Client section takes ~30 seconds, remove the plugin and it is almost instant. I do have a somewhat large LT environment with 8K agents.

Supports suggestion was to uninstall the plugin.

That's a strange recommendation from the troubleshooting team ;). Can you send me the LT case ID to follow up this and try to understand what was the reason for this behavior based on the logs?

CTaylor, we've been trying to model your situation and potentially have found a reason for this behavior. If you could drop me an email (vsafarov @ veeam.com), then we would be happy to assist you with fixing this problem. Let me know how you would like to proceed.

Great add to the features. Any idea when we will have the ability to backup locally and send a copy off-site via the labtech plugin?

Do you refer to sending backups to Cloud Connect repository directly or using backup copy jobs to transfer this data from the local backup server?

Vitaliy,

Great news. Now as an MSP once you add that functionality are we loosing any feature set to by using Veeam Endpoint Backup for Labtech as opposed to the Veeam Backup & Replication? It appears the cost is very similar. I would say most of our customers have Vmware environments but many of them do not have vCenter. We are considering switching from Axcient to full Veeam and I was thinking about purchasing vCenter for all of my customers so that I could use Backup & Replication.

Just to clear one thing up - you actually do not need vCenter to use Veeam B&R, you just need a licensed version of ESXi as the storage API's are not available in the free version. Veeam B&R will work fine with a licensed standalone host.

While from the surface Veeam B&R and Endpoint look the same, they are two very different products. If your backup requirements are little, Endpoint will work just fine. However, if you are working with complex environments with strict RPO and RTO, Veeam B&R is a clear winner here as something like replicating a VM between hosts isn't even an option with Endpoint.

Yes but for most MSP's the customer maybe have 1 to 2 servers and in those environments dedicating a machine to B&R is really the concern.

Hi vkent39,

Great news. Now as an MSP once you add that functionality are we loosing any feature set to by using Veeam Endpoint Backup for Labtech as opposed to the Veeam Backup & Replication?

As it is perfectly said below by amw3000, these are two different products. If you have a handful of VMs to backup, you can use Veeam Endpoint Backup product. If you're searching for a backup solution that was specifically built for virtualization, then Veeam B&R is definitely a way to go. It allows you to backup VMs without any agents deployed inside the backed up VM. Additionally, you can run your backup jobs in LAN-free mode. Do you have any server applications you would like to backup for your clients?

While from the surface Veeam B&R and Endpoint look the same, they are two very different products. If your backup requirements are little, Endpoint will work just fine. However, if you are working with complex environments with strict RPO and RTO, Veeam B&R is a clear winner here as something like replicating a VM between hosts isn't even an option with Endpoint

Yes, good summary. Veeam B&R gives you a lot more options/services to offer to your clients (for example, automatic backup verification and reporting).

Yes but for most MSP's the customer maybe have 1 to 2 servers and in those environments dedicating a machine to B&R is really the concern.

You don't need to have a dedicated server for Veeam B&R. For Hyper-V infrastructures, you can combine Hyper-V host and Veeam B&R and for VMware deployments, just use any existing VM (this will allow you to backup your critical data and run backup server without any issues).

Thanks!

Ok all of that makes sense but I guess what I don't understand is why is Endooint more expensive? Regular price to use endpoint plugin is $15 as compared to about $9 for B&R Enterprise.

You don't need a dedicated server. You also don't even need a Veeam installation onsite. You as an MSP can run a Veeam server and just deploy proxies (on almost anything) and backup to wherever you want. That is the power of Veeam B&R.

This should open up doors for backup management, offsite backups and even DR if you have the infrastructure.

Thanks for clarification on the pricing! If you don't want to install any agents on each VM you want to back up and after that micro-manage all these installations, then Veeam B&R should be your choice, especially when you would like to offer replication and offsite backups as a service to your clients.

Veeam Endpoint Backup really shines when you need to protect laptops, few remaining physical computers/servers etc.

Labtech is charging $15 per server and $5 per desktop

This is our biggest issue in pushing people this route. It's hard for the customer to understand the benefits of the paid for version vs. the free version especially when we can get simple alerting via event logs. From a technical standpoint I get it, the plugin 'full' endpoint product has benefits but even then... 15 bucks a month per machine? It feels really expensive if you ask me.

Hi brentn,

One of the main advantages for the paid version is that it has central management (remote installations. remote job configuration) and technical support according to the SLA of the contact etc. Finally, in the upcoming major release (scheduled later this year), there will be a lot more "server specific" features which will not be available in the free version.

On other hand, I agree that If we are talking about a handful number of endpoints, then free version of Veeam Endpoint Backup can be an ideal solution for this.

Thanks!