Cubert

Chocolatey II is in pre release testing

So if am I ready correctly if I installed the plugin new today or yesterday it would already have installed the latest Choco build?

Absolutely, we do not keep a installer inside the plugin, it is always fetched during install of plugin so you will always get the latest Chocolatey app when installing the plugin.

Cubert,

Installed Gen Beta 6..Still seeing issues with the inital push of Choco. For instance I installed an agent on a new machine last night and in the CMD tab saw where it tried to push the approved apps...which failed...never saw where it tried to install Choco.

We are also experiencing issues with Choco being installed on a device but the plugin not recognizing it and/or the plugin not really understanding its there. I am not sure how to reconcile this.

For Example:

One this machine from cmd: I can see the correct version of choco.

From the plugin:

Notice the Plugin thinks v0.9.9.6 when its actually v0.9.9.8

Verified PATH:

PATH=C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windo

ws\System32\Wbem;C:\windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x

86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\bin;

Just wanted you to know what we are seeing.

Aaron

Capture.PNG.b301ec67ab36e330d018924c75217c0b.PNG

Capture2.PNG.440c1e6de184a5b042d5081bbbcaadf9.PNG

Capture3.PNG.2ff4015d91d270da25b46f9aed766e4a.PNG

yes we are seeing several issues we are now working on for beta 7,

We are adding updates to Approved apps list where when you add new apps it is now by default excluded so that you don't get a mass install when updating your app list.

We are also looking at making the flow of management a little easier and of course the documentation to follow.

Very odd that you can't find choco. This is what the average install does to my Windows 7 system

Just peppers it with redirects and such.

We are looking into a better way to manage this.

Capture.PNG.d2900c43f0b935f0bf029f5ce4666ff8.PNG

Wondering if I would remove and try again...what would be the best process for that. given i cant really use choco to uninstall, choco?

Should i build a script to remove the directories?? programdata\chocolatey and windows\temp\chocolatey ?? Then dump the plugin table?

Cubert,

We seem to be having the same issue as aarontoops. We installed Chocolatey on the machines (using the cmd/PS script both ran locally and through LT cmd), We can run choco -v on the local machine and get a response, but when we try to run choco -v through the CMD tab inside LT it will say choco is not a valid command.

I have rebooted the machines, I have confirmed the system variable PATH is there, I confirmed the c:\programdata\chocolatey folder is there.

Any thoughts what we can run the CMD through the LT tab (or even the Chocolatey plugin)

Another thing we are seeing is: on very random number of machines Choco is downloading GIANT installers and filling up hard drives:

This affected 15 machines in total of 1000 we are testing on.

This one scares me a bit:

These screens were taken on the windows\temp\chocolatey directory.

GiantFF.PNG.7d39334d1038a421b74a840b701a1dc9.PNG

GiantVLC.PNG.5bb14dc7c278bc0154e814b39aeb569c.PNG

I am about to release a new beta 7 in the next day that will be handling verification of Paths, going out and pulling currently installed software (Whether or not installed via plugin) and we are now capturing version numbers of the apps installed as part of the Maintentance cycles we are building into plugin.

This should correct any "mis- installs" of chocolatey and resolve any path issues across different platforms like XP versus windows 8.

I am also writing in a application verification piece that verifies what's really installed and keeps App installed list current.

So we are working to address all the issues but until we release the first non beta version there will be some issues to work out.

Thanks to everyone that has spotted and sent in bug for us to chew on.

Cubert

Cubert,

Thanks for all of your work. I know I want to see Chocolatey be the best little app installer it can be. We are very excited about the prospect of this plugin!! Keep up the great work.

Guest GReyes

Hey Cubert,

Any status updates on the new version of Chocolatey II you were working on? Been eagerly awaiting this new version as I feel it will help fix some of the buggy behavior we are experiencing with the last version.

Thanks!

I am pumping out CCleaner this next week so it has had most of my attention, I have several bug fixes already completed, Improving the deployment services and going to get working on the license PRO version of choco and private repo functions.

Guest Aiydee

Love the plugin. Went on pretty swish. (We're still only trialing Labtech, but this has been one of those plugins that is swaying us away from our existing Manage Service agents).

Just wondering whether the Pro version will resolve the issue of version lag I'm noticing.

eg. Java installed 8.0.40 yet current version is 8.0.51

This causes issues with Firefox/IE (For good reason).

I note the Chocolatey repository reports that 8.0.51 is available, but we're not getting latest version. Also noting that when I try to update Chocolatey itself, it only tries 0.9.9.8 rather than 0.9.9.9 which is available.

Cheers,

Dave

Thank you very much, glad my products aid in helping you choose what I think is the greatest RMM tool available!

With the public repos you are bound to the whims of the people that create the packages and their time schedules. The pro version is trying to resolve this some so to answer your question yes I would expect the PRO version to be much more date sensitive.

We have a bug found in 1-6 betas where the packages update but choco dose not. This is being fixed in next beta but in the mean time you can manually rerun the choco updater via the computer console tab or client console tabs where Chocolatey software shows installed.

Cubert,

Is there anyway to handle what packages are deployed to workstations and servers differently?

Cubert,

Is there anyway to handle what packages are deployed to workstations and servers differently?

Absolutely! by Enabling and excluding systems and servers independently you can control what system gets what software done to the individual software titles. You could even have 2 different versions of the same title that you enable 1 version for servers and another for workstations. or maybe this is only needed for one client so in that instance you would enable and disable software at the client to control what system got what software.

this is how it would look

-Global Servers allowed 
       - Client 1 Servers disabled
       - Client 2 severs enabled
                 -Server1 Software 1 enabled
                 -Server1 Software 2 disabled
                 -Desktop1 Software 2 enabled
                 -Desktop1 Software 1 disabled
        - Client 3 servers disabled
etc...

Now you have granular control over every system and every server, it all in how you use the enablers.

By the way, we have been working on Chocolatey II and the next release will be mind blowing!

I do not want to give away the surprises but be prepared for a Chocolatey II The Next Gen, That's right we are breaking out the old Trek references kinda like Priceline.Com and William Shatner but better! We are taking time to make sure that the new functions and processes are working well so that your experience is pleasant when using and working with Chocolatey II

I will be posting some previews shortly.

Had an issue where I was trying to exclude all systems except for our test machines, Chocolatey II "unchecked" the exclusions when I added the adobe reader installer. This went out system wide and digging into the log files it produced this:

2015-06-16 14:56:57,994 [iNFO ] - ============================================================

2015-06-16 14:56:58,023 [iNFO ] - Chocolatey v0.9.9.6

2015-06-16 14:56:58,106 [iNFO ] - Chocolatey is unpacking required files for use. Overwriting? True

2015-07-28 15:34:11,373 [iNFO ] - ============================================================

2015-07-28 15:34:11,413 [iNFO ] - Chocolatey v0.9.9.6

2015-07-28 15:34:11,648 [iNFO ] - Installing the following packages:

2015-07-28 15:34:11,649 [iNFO ] - c:;install;adobereader

2015-07-28 15:34:11,650 [iNFO ] - By installing you accept licenses for the packages.

2015-07-28 15:34:24,997 [WARN ] - This is try 1/3. Retrying after 300 milliseconds.

Error converted to warning:

The process cannot access the file '7B296FB0-376B-497e-B012-9C450E1B7327-5P-0.C7483456-A289-439d-8115-601632D005A0' because it is being used by another process.

2015-07-28 15:34:25,818 [WARN ] - This is try 2/3. Retrying after 400 milliseconds.

Error converted to warning:

The process cannot access the file '7B296FB0-376B-497e-B012-9C450E1B7327-5P-0.C7483456-A289-439d-8115-601632D005A0' because it is being used by another process.

2015-07-28 15:34:27,105 [ERROR] - Maximum tries of 3 reached. Throwing error.

2015-07-28 15:34:27,145 [WARN ] - Attempted to remove 'c:' but had an error::

2015-07-28 15:34:27,454 [ERROR] - Second path fragment must not be a drive or UNC name.

Parameter name: path2

After the command was sent out, NONE of my end users could print and the ones that decided to reboot are not stuck in system restore.

Is there a way to restore the files that may have been deleted from C: causing all these problems. A swift reply would be greatly appreciated.

@WJPTech

I'm Sorry unfortunately not, The problem is the version of Chocolate you have installed. Chocolatey v0.9.9.6 had an issues that the Chocolatey Team fixed in Chocolatey v0.9.9.8. This caused the choco application to try clear it's working directory before an install.

From you post above you are using this earlier version of the choco application.

The plugin installs the latest choco to systems that do not have choco already installed and until auto updates are enabled the choco application will not update automatically. So when the fix was released you didn't get the updates.

As for the Client Enables. There is a issue in Beta 6 that when new apps are added to list they do not get auto excluded for systems that have excludes on. This in turn caused the checkboxes to clear on clients in the list as now there was at lease 1 system that was allowed to install 1 package so global client exclude is off. You would see all other software was still excluded before and after adding adobe. This is a bug and has been fixed in Beta7 which will be released very soon to fix a lot of issues we found in Beta6

If anyone else runs into this problem, use an external Windows 2 go drive and using Shadow explorer logged in as administrator, extract the C:\Windows Directory (note: will not be C). In 90% of the cases, we were able to copy this over the Windows folder and restore the computers to close to full functionality minus some reactivation of Windows and rejoining domains. I found this to be much more efficient and a lot less time consuming as we did not have a current image for each system, but guess we will now.

Thanks for the disaster recovery test. A few thousand dollars and several man hours later, Our clients are almost back to 100% operational. We will obviously be implementing some new strategies moving forward.

Cubert,

Any update on the release date? We have a good majority of systems that had an issue with their install of choco and although it is installed the plugin cannot find the installation because of the location. A lot of them were installed with the first beta release. We have written a script that changes the directory on the machines that are affected but haven't mass tested it and before trying it I was hoping the new build may resolve the issue. I have attached the script we have been using to resolve the issue.

Chocolatey Install.7z

We just released Cleaner for Labtech Today so I should be freed up to complete the final testing a tweaking of the automation parts of Chocolatey II very soon.

This is a huge update to the Beta 6 which has had several issues. Keep an eye out here for updates.

Ladies and Gents, we are days away fro releasing Chocolatey II which is a huge update from Beta 6, so much so it is almost totally new. We have a new look along with some great features and we resolved many issues that were in the previous Betas.

We have held off on releasing this in efforts to make it the most stable plugin we can. We added new features and made current features better. We made it so it will be compatible with Chocolatey I so those of you who have used our Chocolatey I plugin, those installs will be picked up in Chocolatey II.

This is some really great stuff and I have had a enjoyable time putting this together for the LT masses.

Keep your eyes out for the announcements coming in the next week or so.

Cubert