Guest Goose158

Install font on domain computer without admin rights

Guest Goose158

Hi All,

I am very new to scripting and LT and have been charged with writing some scripts for our clients requirements and to be honest, I could really do with some help please.

So let me explain the senario I would like to automate with a script.

One of our clients has just gone through some re-branding and have created some headers and footers they wish to be used as templates as standard, not a problem. The problem lies with the fact the have created a new font themselves, obvisouly this has to be installed on to each computer before it will be available. Again not a problem, they do however, have 200+ computers, all on domain and without local admin rights for the users.

So what I would like to know is, has anyone come accross this issue before and have they solved the problem with a script? If so, can I steal it please?? :mrgreen:

Or just some advise would also be greatly appriciated! I really don't want to have to log in to every machine individually and copy the font into the directory unless I really have to...

Lazy I know! :roll:

Thank you please!

Did you ever figure this out? I am in a similar situation and just wanted to see how you accomplished this.

Thanks,

Installing a font is just a matter of copying it to c:\windows\fonts\.

Your script just needs to check for the existence of the font in the fonts directory and if it does not exist download the font and place it in that directory.

On 5/24/2018 at 2:18 PM, jmblack256 said:

Installing a font is just a matter of copying it to c:\windows\fonts\.

Your script just needs to check for the existence of the font in the fonts directory and if it does not exist download the font and place it in that directory.

Not exactly from what I've seen while working on a similar task myself.

Apparently there is a Windows Registry item that needs to be created along with each font (not font family) installed to actually register the font with the system.

Here are two (external) sites that I'm currently referencing for my work:

How to: Deploy New Fonts via GPO

Pushing Fonts via GPO

I'm leaning towards adapting this PowerShell script to being run from a LT Script.