Greg.Buerk

Dashing Diagnostics and How to.

Dashing is complicated and contains some wiredness and things you would not expect. I did not create the dashing NOR do i know much about it. I simply wrapped the product and made it easy to configure and install.

I will try to answer some basic questions.

Why is my widget not getting data.

Most of the time this is caused by a bad sql query that is not returning the correct column names. First we are going to assume you have a proper SQL query that works and there are NO permissions issues. The MAIN problem is you are not returning a column with the name of 'value'. Its case sensitive. So the Query Select Count(*) From Computers will NOT work it must be Select Count(*) as value From Computers.

All widgets want a column named 'value'

List Widgets also want a column named 'name'

Number Widgets that set max want a column named 'total'

Weather Widgets want columns 'WOEID' and 'Format'

Why is my widget not getting data 2.

Ok your query is perfect and its still not loading. The problem could be another widget thats broken. You see all widgets that have the same interval opererate in the same job and if one of these crashes the job then all of them stop. So if you have 20 widgets and there are 10 at 300secs and 5 at 30 secs and 5 at 10secs, then you have 3 job loops and any ONE broken widget in the job will cause all the members of the job to fail.

Fix the broken widget is the answer, but to find it start changing the intervals, change the one your working on to a new interval and see if it starts working, if so you know this is the problem. Now slowly one at a time move the widgets to the new interval and when it breaks you have found the bad one.

Why are my Widgets set to 1

All widgets start at 1 and then are updated to the value in the SQL. If the SQL fails it will stay 1.

How do i set the Size and Placement of Widgets

On Each Dash board you can set the Height and Width of a Widget, Set these to 0 to have the Dashing Automattically set them for you based of screen size. You can set how many Columns wide a dash is or you can leave it blank to let the dashing decide.

Placement of each widget is set in the Row and Column fields. These can ALL be set to 1 to let dashing decide, other wise its a grid pattern.

Dashing do not start or work on my server

Make sure you have the latest Dashing Plugin .

Backup the DashBoards and DashItems Tables if you have created unique items.

Delete the Ruby193 Folder and %windir%\temp\Dashing.exe and the Dashing Tables, do it while the dbagent is down. Then restart the DBAgent and it will redownload and install ruby and the tables.

If you are Cloud User then you will need to do this from the Config Screen. Uncheck Enable Server and click apply. You should be able to Click the Uninstall Button, the server will delete all tables and the dashing. Then wait till its done and enable click apply and click install button.

I am having problems with Widget X or Dash Y

I did not write the dashing, http://shopify.github.io/dashing/look for information there. Or Special Widgets here https://github.com/Shopify/dashing/wiki/Additional-Widgets

I want to play around with ruby and code and html.

Its easy, Edit the files in the C:\Ruby193\dash\YOURDASHBOARD folder. Then tell the dashing to restart the server, NOT REBUILD, and it will reload with your changes. This can be a nice way to do some FINAL touches or create something unique. OR to debug the dashing.

Another way to debug the dashing is to stop the DB Agent or Disable the Dashing. Then Open a CMD Prompt and type SET PATH=C:\Ruby193\Bin;%PATH% and then navigate to the dashboard folder and type Dashing Start.

Thanks for all your work on this Greg! Makes a huge difference in an office with displays, when the techs can see the data displayed without having to bring it up on their machine or getting out of their chair to check it out.

Everyone in our office loves it. Thank you very much for all the work and troubleshooting steps.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Great detailed information Greg. I appreciate all your efforts with Dashing. This does clarify a few of those quirky issues, like why is the 1st column always blank, and why can't I get these darn things to line up in the correct columns. Hopefully I can review and apply to resolve. This is really great stuff. Thanks.

-jeff

Greg - I am running on 2012 and Dashing doesn't seem to be working right. Our labtech server is brand new(just switched from kaseya) and I have gone though all troubleshooting steps, perl file exists, stopped dbagent and droped tables and deleted directories, ran the dashing program manually through the command prompt and all items provide the expected successful results. However when I log in all I get is a blank screen with a favicon icon(Shopping Bag with an S). I look at the source code and can see the changes I make via the labtech dashing interface change the options in the source code...however no widgets render. My initial thought is it is related to perl interpreter on 2012 but not sure how to verify. Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Sweet First time this Question has been asked and i expected it WAY More. I guess we have another IE user. I use IE as well and when martyn started talking about the dash i went to his links and got a blank page. I then just said well i guess it is not working.

WELLLLLL the Dashing is only HTML 5 so you need chrome, firefox, mozilla, etc.

I think you have the older plugin.

But its controlled by the Columns of the dash board and the ROW and COLUMN of each widget.

I have no idea what version I have as I can't see it displayed anywhere :-(

Even if I just change the name on the widget call Labtech Dashing to something else, after I rebuild, everything shoots to the right. No row or column numbers have been changed. Even changing them after the event has no effect :-(

Just done a sanity check. Uninstalled everything. Deleted the tables. Deleted Ruby193 folder. Restarted DbAgent.

Downloaded V 1.1.5.0. Installed. Confirmed all working and nicely aligned. Edited only the text in the "Welcome to" widget. Save Widget, rebuild all files, re-opened page in Chrome and everything has shifted to the right.

I just did the same and its all formatted correctly. I would CHECK EVERY Widget and change the row/column to a 1

And set the height\width to 0 and the Columns to 0. Save and rebuild.

ok, that sounds like you have the older plugin. Look at the Source of the dash board. There should be a Function() line at the top. And NOTHING should be in there.

I have Dashing.numColumns = 1 in the function.

If I check the Plugin manager in Labtech it says version 1.1.5.0

Anywhere else I shoul dbe looking for the version number?

OK, maybe I will have to recompile. But check the dashboards setting.

The Columns needs to be 0 to remove that line. Its indicating to me that the columns is set to 1

59ec942e1bdc5_10-9-201310-30-40AM.png.e1a95edb5de48dab63abe77e56bc5cc2.png

I'll try that. It's just that you said to set it to 1 earlier in the widgets. The defaults I got after re-installing set that value to blank.

Later: Set to 0. Still got a single column :(

After it was set to 0 it was saved? Check the table. Then check the Page source, check if that function is blank. Then Check the actual file. its in c:\run193\dash\DASHBOARDNAME\dashboards\DASHBOARDNAME.erb and make sure the function is blank.

Yes saved after I set it to zero. Looked in table and it's set to 1. Loaded up the dashboard again in Labtech and the column entry was blank. Set the value to 0 in the database and loaded up the dashboard again and it now display 0.

Done a reload and the display is now correct (Although sizes and layout of widgets is not how I'd like it)

Ok, rebuilt and Uploaded a new Dashing Plugin. This has a simple fix for threading issues. BUT I do know the one I have here is saving the columns and working correctly, so maybe something was missed in the last build.

Where does the IP address get pulled from for the links to "Status", "Tickets", and "Health" from the main :3030/labtech page. For some reason mine has the wrong IP address and subsequently the links don't work.

They all have the wrong IP. You have to edit them manually. That's the Address to MY Server. There is NO way to auto fix them, sorry.

Having a issue editing any of the dashboards. I remove some of the widgets that i dont want on the main board. Rebuild and restart the service and it just puts them back on there. Am i doing something wrong?