Bill.Stack

SNMP for LabTech - FINALLY PRTG has arrived

Mapping by Group (instead of just by probe is now an option).

Hey Bill - not sure if you got my PM but after the update I don't see any probes, groups or options to map. If you need some logs let me know.

It's working now. And tickets are being generated! A couple of requests:

1. The ability to have the plugin auto-resolve tickets if the link recovers

2. Set a delay on ticket creation. We do not start working on an ISP down ticket until it's been down for 15 minutes. That's how we currently have PRTG setup.

Great feedback. We were working on ticket sync already and the next release will close tickets in LT once the alarms clear in PRTG.

We are also going to push alarms into the LT db so you will have the ability to create custom alert templates and have the delay be whatever you'd like.

Great feedback. We were working on ticket sync already and the next release will close tickets in LT once the alarms clear in PRTG.

We are also going to push alarms into the LT db so you will have the ability to create custom alert templates and have the delay be whatever you'd like.

Sweet! So excited for whats to come. If you need a Beta...Beta Tester I'm here! :)

2. Set a delay on ticket creation. We do not start working on an ISP down ticket until it's been down for 15 minutes. That's how we currently have PRTG setup.

What did you need to change to get it working ? I haven't retried in a month but the devs never got back to me :(

What did you need to change to get it working ? I haven't retried in a month but the devs never got back to me :(

These two things are what are stopping us from using it right now. Generally everything was working - except we have our PRTG only fire emails after a certain time threshold (say 85% bandwidth utilisation for over 30 minutes) but the plugin just fires the ticket immediately and does not auto-resolve so we got swamped! If that can be implemented, this would be wonderful!

@vkent39 - If I understand it correctly, you would like to be able to create a group in PRTG, move items to that group and then map that group directly to the Client|Location to associate the alerts. (Or that is how you already have it set up and just want to map it).

It sounds like that would be a useful feature for a number of people.

Would mapping on a per device basis be useful?

Hi Bill,

I just implemented this and use PRTG the same way. I ccan say +2 for this request as well.

Auvik

Can you tell us your experience with Auvik? We are evaluating it right now.

Auvik is great. It's saved us a dozen times since we stated implementing back in April. For instance, have a big client with complex network (many vLANs) and wireless infra was having issues. Long story short, we found that switch up-link port was incorrectly labelled (on the port interface) so we were trunking the wrong one. Without Auvik to tell us exactly which port was uplink, we would have had to pay a cabler to go trace.

Downside:

-COST. Main downside.

-A little noisy when Connectwise integration turned on, will have to spend time adjusting monitoring. Unless you have a large dedicated NOC.

-more implementation time than I thought if you have non-standardized customers (lots of little switches that don't have SNMP turned on)

Upsides:

-will save you from rolling a truck for network issues

-search feature allows you to find anything rogue on a network.

-many others.

Auvik is great. It's saved us a dozen times since we stated implementing back in April. For instance, have a big client with complex network (many vLANs) and wireless infra was having issues. Long story short, we found that switch up-link port was incorrectly labelled (on the port interface) so we were trunking the wrong one. Without Auvik to tell us exactly which port was uplink, we would have had to pay a cabler to go trace.

Downside:

-COST. Main downside.

-A little noisy when Connectwise integration turned on, will have to spend time adjusting monitoring. Unless you have a large dedicated NOC.

-more implementation time than I thought if you have non-standardized customers (lots of little switches that don't have SNMP turned on)

Upsides:

-many others.

Thanks for the review. After an evaluation we have decided to add it to our product offerings. The SNMP and password issues have bitten us as well - but that's really a problem with getting our technicians to set things up to a standard in the first place.

The only issue we have been having is with Sophos firewalls, which do not have correct SNMP MIBS available so we can't get data to adequately monitor them. It's actually one of the issues we have with Sophos that's making us rethinking our partnership with them.

Downside:

-COST. Main downside.

Upsides:

-many others.

Thanks for the review. After an evaluation we have decided to add it to our product offerings. The SNMP and password issues have bitten us as well - but that's really a problem with getting our technicians to set things up to a standard in the first place.

The only issue we have been having is with Sophos firewalls, which do not have correct SNMP MIBS available so we can't get data to adequately monitor them. It's actually one of the issues we have with Sophos that's making us rethinking our partnership with them.

I see -- we use Sonicwall and their GMS system to centrally manage and monitor our firewalls instead of relying on Auvik. It's a good supplementary tool, but not perfect either. Thanks for info on Sophos, we almost considered jumping ship to them since they boast their end to end suite of products.

We use GMS and Auvik, I highly recommend both (for different reasons). But I have appreciated Auviks willingness to improve their product. If you report your problems and are not the only client that needs to support Sophos, Auvik will at least entertain improving their support for the devices.

We use GMS and Auvik, I highly recommend both (for different reasons). But I have appreciated Auviks willingness to improve their product. If you report your problems and are not the only client that needs to support Sophos, Auvik will at least entertain improving their support for the devices.

Auvik is not where the issue lies. Sophos simply won't engineer SNMP into their products - which I find truly amateurish.

On 8/17/2017 at 12:42 PM, wchesley said:

Auvik is not where the issue lies. Sophos simply won't engineer SNMP into their products - which I find truly amateurish.

Were you able to get the Sophos SNMP monitoring working properly?

Yes, though they are discovered as generic Linux devices by Auvik (I'm told they are working on that). Sophos updated the MIBS,  but the systems do not provide a lot of data other than simple network information.

Hey, the links to the download for this plugin seem to be dead. Is it available anymore? Is it still being maintained?

@dtackett the integration was tombstoned as it was not compatible with newer version of Automate. There's been some interest in renewing the project, but no funding. Maybe we should fire up an indiegogo?