ST_Ty

GPO for LT agent install

@timwiser We tested your script on 10.5 and 11 with success (thanks for sharing it), we just moved to CWA v12 and I wondered if it will work with 12?

39 minutes ago, Jmw66 said:

@timwiser We tested your script on 10.5 and 11 with success (thanks for sharing it), we just moved to CWA v12 and I wondered if it will work with 12?

@Jmw66

We have been using it with 12- the only issue (addressed in this last release) was computers going to location 1

Our Firewall / port forwarding does not allow port 80...

so in version Version 1.8

line 94- included https

CONST serverFQDN = "https://*************"      ' FQDN or IP of Automate central server with protocol 

line 260 changed:

from

' strDirectURL = "http://" & serverFQDN & "/Labtech/Deployment.aspx?Probe=1&installType=msi&MSILocation=" & strLocation

to:

strDirectURL = serverFQDN & "/Labtech/Deployment.aspx?Probe=1&installType=msi&MSILocation=" & strLocation

The registry check that the script does is reinstalling were it had set the server to httP;//

@DarrenWhite99 thanks for your latest bat file using LTPoSH, I'm currently testing it on one of our test domains.  It seems to work, but I had a couple of questions. It's installing .NET 3, but I've successfully deployed LT without .NET3, don't know if the requirements have changed?  I've got a Scheduled Task running on creation and it's working, but it's in the foreground with a CMD window visible to the end user.  Have you found a way to have it running in the background when using the Scheduled Task option?

Thanks

Nick

@timwiser your script has worked brilliantly for us, many thanks for the work that's gone into it.  Today I've combined with with @DarrenWhite99's approach and used it with a Scheduled Task that ran on creation.  This method has pushed out the agent to about 50 machines in a couple of hours.

Thanks again,

Nick

On 11/28/2018 at 7:03 AM, ncdlloyd said:

@DarrenWhite99 thanks for your latest bat file using LTPoSH, I'm currently testing it on one of our test domains.  It seems to work, but I had a couple of questions. It's installing .NET 3, but I've successfully deployed LT without .NET3, don't know if the requirements have changed?  I've got a Scheduled Task running on creation and it's working, but it's in the foreground with a CMD window visible to the end user.  Have you found a way to have it running in the background when using the Scheduled Task option?

I have never had a problem with the execution being visible. I schedule the task to run as SYSTEM, "when the user is logged in" (SYSTEM is always logged in), with highest privileges, and I don't enable desktop interaction. That way no desktop user needs to be logged in and no credentials are needed.

I wanted to second what @ncdlloyd said and say that combining @timwiser VBS script with @DarrenWhite99 idea of a scheduled task through GPO works perfectly.  One thing to look out for when configuring the VBS script is that the value for serverKey was not in the regkey discussed in the PDF setup doc.  The ServerPassword key ended up not having the correct value in it (I'm not sure if this is due to it being encrypted when it should not have been or vice versa).  I found my server password by just downloading a customized install MSI for any location and then just running it.  One of the first screens will have fields for server address, server password, and location ID with these already populated.  I copied the key from the field there and provided it to the VBS script and it worked like a charm.  Many thanks to all who helped as we have been struggling with agent deployment for some time now (we found that probe push and GPO software deployment were not reliable).

@timwiser I can't seem to download the VBS script, it says it's no longer available. Would you mind sharing this with me as we are also running into issues with GPO deployment and would love to try your script/method.

Edited by sniderit

On 5/3/2019 at 4:15 AM, timwiser said:

Sorry for this, I'll check the URL shortly.

Are you able to re-share your script? With all the positive responses from this thread I was excited to try it out but your link is still dead. Thanks!