Seth

LTBackup and SPX

I really don't think that's the issue anyway. I would just download them again and enable them. I'll let you know what they tell me if I ever get a reply on the support ticket.

Ok, was finally able to get StorageCraft Backup re-installed. Solution Center never did recognize that it was ever uninstalled. I'm sure that means that whatever problems existed prior to the uninstall will persist after the re-install...but...whatever.

According to the new AUTOMATE 11 Documentation, I did stumble on this, however:

Storage Craft 1.0 Supported Versions:

* ShadowProtect SPX v6.2.0

* ImageManager v7.0.2

StorageCraft 2.0 is for Pilot Partners only.

So...that might explain why none of it is populating. I don't even think we have ImageManager 7.0.2 installed on anything. Even though, that wouldn't explain why the ImageManager Plugin is populating for a server that has v7.1.0 installed (even though I did have to manually apply the role) - or why the plugin is populating ShadowProtect data in the Plugin on another Server with SPX 6.3.0.

Basically...absolutely nothing makes any sense at all to me right now.

The docs actually say SPX 6.X and IM 7.x You will need to get IM 7.0.3 installed before march 1st or it stops working to the cloud apparently. There is a pilot for SC but I don't think that is the one in the solution center. Otherwise, they wouldn't be working with me on this ticket. I'm not on pilot. Must be an old doc.

For what it's worth, we have SPX 6.5 installed on a client's server - so, I went to LT Control Center > Dashboard > Config > Configurations > Role Definitions > StorageCraft SPX v6.X:

{%-HKLM\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\spx:InstallVersion-%}

Well, I hopped on to the server, and that registry key does not exist. In fact, none of the definitions for ShadowProtect as defined in the Role Definitions exist for this SPX install, on this server.

If I run the following, in Powershell, however - I get the version, no problem:

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product | Where-Object {($_.Name -like '*spx*')} | Select -ExpandProperty Version

So, naturally, I add a definition for that ^ - as so:

{%@powershell.exe "(Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product | Where-Object {($_.Name -like '*spx*')} | Select -ExpandProperty Version).ProductVersion"@%}

Re-sent all the inventories, ran all the Role Detection scripts, etc. Restarted LabTech Control Center, told Plugins to Update, and opened up the agent for that server - role is still not detected.

Any word from their techs?

Starting with ShadowProtect SPX 6.5, StorageCraft changed the registry keys for the software.

ShadowProtect SPX (Pre-6.5)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\spx\InstallVersion

ShadowProtect SPX (6.5+)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft Technology Corporation\spx\InstalledVersion

Before the Role Definitions get updated you can potentially do something like this to the role definition for SPX, I haven't tested this yet so it may not be entirely correct but it should point you in the right direction.

{%_or|{%-HKLM\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\spx:InstallVersion-%}|{%-HKLM\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft Technology Corporation\spx:InstalledVersion-%}_%}

The following is present if ImageManager 7+ is installed, however it doesn't get you the software version.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft Technology Corporation\ImageManager

The role definition for ImageManager uses the following PowerShell command to get the version installed:

(Get-Item 'C:\Program Files (x86)\StorageCraft\ImageManager\ImageManager.exe' | Select -ExpandProperty VersionInfo).ProductVersion

Yeah, I noticed that - for some reason, though, ImageManager doesn't always install to that directory - and, even in the instances where it does, the powershell command in the Role Definition isn't picking it up.

So, instead, what I've done...is create 2 PowerShell scripts, 1 for ImageManager, and 1 for SPX (since using a Role Definition to run the powershell commands also doesn't work for this):

SPXVersion.ps1
$SC = (Test-Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft')
$SPX = (Test-Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\SPX')
$sver = (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product | Where-Object {($_.Name -like '*spx*')}).Version

If ($SPX -eq $false -And $SC -eq $false){
  New-Item -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\ -Name "StorageCraft"
  New-Item -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft -Name "SPX"
  New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\SPX -Name "Version" -Value $sver}
ElseIf ($SPX -eq $false -And $SC -eq $true){
  New-Item -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft -Name "SPX"
  New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\SPX -Name "Version" -Value $sver}
Else {
  New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\SPX -Name "Version" -Value $sver -force}

IMVersion.ps1
$SC = (Test-Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft')
$IM = (Test-Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\ImageManager')
$iver = (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product | Where-Object {($_.Name -like '*imagemanager*')}).Version

If ($IM -eq $false -And $SC -eq $false){
  New-Item -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE -Name "StorageCraft"
  New-Item -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft -Name "ImageManager"
  New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\ImageManager -Name "Version" -Value $iver}
ElseIf ($IM -eq $false -And $SC -eq $true){
  New-Item -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft -Name "ImageManager"
  New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\ImageManager -Name "Version" -Value $iver}
Else {
  New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\ImageManager -Name "Version" -Value $iver -force}

The 'Get-WmiObject' command in there will get the product version everytime. But, using this for the Role Definition doesn't.

{%@powershell.exe "(Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product | Where-Object {($_.Name -like '*spx*')}).Version"@%}

So, then I have two LabTech Scripts that will run those two scripts, if %SPX% or %ImageManager% is installed. The LabTech scripts are going to be scheduled, so as to make sure that the current version of SPX and ImageManager will be in those Registry Locations. Then, the Role Definitions don't have to run a powershell command (because they apparently can't, anyway), and instead only have to look in a very simple Registry Path.

{%-HKLM\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\SPX:Version-%}
-OR-
{%-HKLM\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\ImageManager:Version-%}

Oh, yeah - almost forgot...the RegEx Matches that the Role Definitions use might be incorrect. I tried them, by adding 6.0.0 and 6.2.0 at this RegEx tester, and then entering in the RegEx Match in the Role Defintion (I think it's: ^6.\..). Sure enough, it did not match 6.0.0 or 6.2.0. So, I changed them to something that DID match both of those strings: 6.\d.\d

You'll also want to test for SPX 6.5+ as it's changed registry key locations. Here's an alternate way of getting the installed versions of installed StorageCraft products using PowerShell:

ImageManager:

(Get-Item ((Get-ItemProperty "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\StorageCraft ImageManager").ImagePath).Replace('"', '') | Select -ExpandProperty VersionInfo).ProductVersion

ShadowProtect 5.x (and possibly older, don't have any to test on):

(Get-Item ((Get-ItemProperty "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ShadowProtectSvc").ImagePath).Replace('"', '') | Select -ExpandProperty VersionInfo).ProductVersion

ShadowProtect SPX (pre 6.5):

(Get-ItemProperty "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\spx").InstallVersion

ShadowProtect SPX (6.5+):

(Get-ItemProperty "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft Technology Corporation\spx").InstalledVersion

Ok, so...the following has worked for me, but I had to disable UAC. Part of me thinks that disabling UAC out of the gate might prevent doing any of this, but don't know - since I didn't do that. (I've confirmed that Roles are being detected on all machines running %ImageManager% And/Or %SPX%)

But now, despite the Roles being Detected, whenever I open up the ShadowProtect Plugin, the only thing that loads is a blank ShadowProtectSPX tab. No ImageManager tab. In the plugin logs, I'm told that both have loaded and initialized and all that jazz successfully.

> SPXVersion.ps1 to get the version of SPX and store it in HKLM\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\SPX:Version

> IMVersion.ps1 to get the version of ImageManager and store it in HKLM\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\ImageManager:Version

> [LT Script]SPX Version Check to delete the old SPXVersion.ps1 script (in case of changes), download the new one, and run it.

> [LT Script]IM Version Check to delete the old ImageManager.ps1 script (in case of changes), download the new one, and run it.

Then, the next time the System Info command runs, role will detect.

All that work, though...and still no solution. Has StorageCraft come back with anything?

e: You know, I'm still not sure why - if different versions store their versioning number in different places, and they're using powershell to get ImageManager anyway - they wouldn't just use the Get-WmiObject command. Also, I should point out, that I was wrong about the RegEx matching thing - if I put the string I wanted to match at the beginning of the sample field, it would match "6.0." or "6.5." - which I guess is all they really need to match to meet the "v6.X" requirements. And, ImageManager is looking for anything between v7.0.0 and v7.1.0 (not including v7.1.0)., so matching "7.0." would meet those requirements as well. *shrug* This would then lead me to believe that UAC was indeed blocking powershell from pulling the ImageManager version from the .EXE file (well, except for the cases where IM was not installed to that directory - despite being v7.0.6 - for some reason). So...it all p much points back to what their KB article on StorageCraft Plugin said:

Supported Versions

* ShadowProtect SPX v6.2.0

* ImageManager v7.0.2

Testing with our Cloud Servers now, since the definitions defaulted back after I ran the latest StorageCraft Plugin Update. Hopefully, this will work with the few machines we still have running IM 7.0.6 - but sure would be nice if this stuff worked with the current versions of SPX/IM.

And here is the answer from support, which is not really an answer.

----

Hello Tim

The escalation sent this back down to us.

The said the Control Center crash issue can be resolved by updating the Storagecraft solution in the Solution center. An update has been released to address that.

In terms of the IM detect:

Reason For Deescalation:

Plugin Only supports ImageManager v6.5.4 or v7.0.2 - Example machines show Imagemanager 7.1 installed

https://docs.connectwise.com/ConnectWise_Automate/ConnectWise_Automate_Documentation/080/010/070

So, the installed version isn't supported. It needs to be a 7.0.x version not 7.1.

Thanks,

Brian Sutphin

Connectwise Automate Support Team

Toll Free: 877.522.8323, Option 2

United States Direct: 813.397.4600, Option 2

United Kingdom Direct: 084.4544.1690, Option 2

And just for you info as well. I went to the solution center, installed the new plugin, rebooted the server, opened control center on a few machines and if the imagemanager plugin is installed, as soon as you click on that plugin on a computer, control center still shuts down, so support is full of it. Not fixed.

The other issue is SC is requiring everybody to be on imagemanager 7.3 by march 1st. And according to labtech, it's not supported by labtech.

So, I guess my question to StorageCraft (if you're out there, lurking...reading...slapping each other fives of the utmost height) would be: why bother having a LabTech Plugin, if it can't even work with the version that clients are required to be running?

Unless, the new Plugin (2.0, that's currently in beta--err..."pilot") is going to be dropping in March, and they have solid reason to believe it will work with the newest version (and, hopefully, each version after that). Hmmmm...

And here is LT's latest answer. They don't seem to understand that the newer IM is required at the end of the month. They just want you to use the lower versions. And removing then reinstalling IM on our bdr's? Yeah, that will work. Let's just lose all the replication jobs, the sites, etc. Why don't these two companies talk to each other?

Hello Tim

Our Imagemanager install scripts should install the supported version. Can you uninstall IM and reinstall it using our scripts with the supported version. If we still can't get it to work we'll get more traction with the escalation. Also, remove any rolls you've forced.

And here is their latest answer after I asked about the SC IM requirement at march 1:

Tim,

Thanks for your reply. The Product Management team is aware of this requirement deadline and will have 7.0.6 compatible with the plugin by this time.

Regards,

Jason P

Senior Technical Support Analyst

Connectwise Automate

United States Direct: 813.397.4600, option 2

United Kingdom Direct: 0844.544.1690, option 2

7.0.6? How does that help with making sure 7.3.0 (the required version) is compatible?

That's really stupid. If I knew anything at all about the API for IM, then I'd be willing to bet a little bit of elbow grease could get a modified copy of their plugin to see the newer versions, but apparently - if 7.0.6 isn't working with their current plugin, and 7.1.0 won't be working once 7.0.6 is working, SC changes their API as frequently as I change underpants.

And, as you pointed out, it baffles me that these two companies have a partnership...but aren't even on the same page. I know that, for things like MalwareBytes, and ScreenConnect, LabTech is a few versions behind...because they get semi-specific version that is tweaked to be integrated into their system...but, what good is a StorageCraft plugin that doesn't support versions of SP/IM that were installed outside of LabTech? As a MSP Partner with SC, we just grab the installer off their site, as we're setting up the BDR's, and licenses are managed through SC directly. So, we've no need for the LT MSP solution, we just need the plugin to communicate with the existing, installed software instances.

I feel like, by the time LT gets their act together with this plugin, SC will have already developed a single-pane-of-glass solution for managing IM and SPX. ShadowControl's 1/3 of the way there as it is.

This old song and dance...

So, I got the Update for the Plugin, and - to my amazement - the first server agent window I opened had the plugin showing...and working! So, I quickly went to another server agent window...checked on the plugins tab...and...nothing.

Comparing versions, I learned that the server with the working plugin was using SPX v6.3.x, whereas the server without it had SPX v6.5.x.

The old Plugin boasted compatibility with any version 6.2.0 and higher, on the website - and, we learned, 6.5.4 and up via their support staff. Confusing, indeed.

SPX 6.3.x stores version info in HKLM\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\spx, under a Value named 'InstallVersion.'

SPX 6.5.x stores version info in HKLM\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\spx, under a Value named 'Version.'

So, the Role Definition in LabTech will not see 6.5.x...because why would they write standardized installation/configuration for different versions/builds? Obviously, every version/build has to be different, so that nothing can work with each of them.

I tried changing the Role Definition to look for both Values of the spx key:

{%_or|{%_eq|{%!(^6\..)|{%-HKLM\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\spx:InstallVersion-%}!%}|_%}|{%_eq|{%!(^6\..)|{%-HKLM\SOFTWARE\StorageCraft\spx:Version-%}!%}|_%}|_%}

And set the 'Comparison' to Equals, and 'Result' to 1 ---- because when using Or/Eq, it changes the result to Boolean, so I used 'eq' and 'RegEx' to create the comparison for each argument in my 'or' Role Defintion...and set the desired restult of the Definition/Detection to 1.

(I'd be willing to bet that the 'eq' operator is not necessary - especially since I didn't define it, assuming the RegEx would do that. Or, perhaps the RegEx match is unneccessary, and I should define the 'eq' operator.)

Server with SPX 6.5.4, after resending all System Info, reloading the Cache, and reloading the Plugins, and DBAgents, and all that fun stuff still did not display anything for StorageCraft under the Plugins tab.

BUT I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to Role Definitions and LabReplace Variables. I used the ConnectWise AUTOMATE documentation on Replacements (Variables) (in the 'LabReplace' section), and other Role Definitions that were using the operations, that I wanted to use. So, the likelihood of me not doing it right is quite high.

Also - for all I know, the API is different between 6.3 and 6.5, and that's why SPX is storing its version info in another Value. To prevent versions that are incompatible with the plugin from triggering it. Or something.

So, yet again...StorageCraft releases a Plugin update...for an outdated version of their software...and I'm left to assume that it's my error, and that the plugin must work with newer versions, because...if it doesn't, by design, why would they even bother making one at all?

I gave up on Labtech plugin entirely and use the ShadowControl appliance for all monitoring and even administration of SPX. It's got a way to go, but way better and faster anyway. I only use Labtech to deploy the software (ShadowControl agent and SP5 / SPX)

It's so limited in reporting, though. :/

I suppose I could start learning how to navigate the ShadowControl API, and make my own reports. But...that sounds suspiciously like work.

You wold think between StorageCraft and LabTech they would actually want us to use their software but between the two of them they do everything in their power to make it as difficult as possible. We don't bother with the deployment of ShadowProtect because we still have to deploy ImageManger manually?

The ShadowControl API is VERY easy to use, and gets some nice data.

I have a PHP script that grabs all the data from the ShadowControl appliance and dumps it back with the proper ComputerIDs into custom tables in my LT DB.  Then with custom views, I can dump it into the Report Center.  I haven't yet dumped it into the report center, but I do plan on having it done in the next week or so.

It also allows me to leave the data in the table, so I could potentially run reports for months back and such, unless I start adding retention to it.

I have also discussed the plugin with our StorageCraft contacts to see if they can track down what the deal is with the plugin so we can get it resolved.  I don't really care about the reporting side if my way ends up working better to integrate with report center, but it would be nice to have it working for automation purposes. lol

Hikato-- I'm curious to see what you came up with there; something a non-coder can replicate?  

I was told new SC built plugin will be ready Q1 2018, but I really need some accurate reporting soon.

I believe they have a report for the current SP plugin, it just relies on the plugin working.

I would honestly wait for something official.  Mine may not be very feasible in the long run, it was more of a proof of concept that I just kinda ran with, but (so far) it works.  As for someone not very familiar with scripting and/or APIs, it may not be very easy to replicate.

Hi all,

wondering if any update on this plugin? I have it close to working for most servers but struggling with the role detection.