jbrantley

Dell OpenManage Hardware Monitoring Info Exchange

This conversation started in the LTGeek slack channel. For the sake of providing a better info exchange, I've created this post.

Initially, I posed the question around monitoring hardware via OpenManage and SNMP as that is what was setup by LT Consulting prior to my inheritance of LabTech. The original issue is that I have at least one server with a failed HDD not reporting the error. My guess is that the OID is missing but I have limited knowledge at best in regards to SNMP monitoring.

All information or best practices for hardware monitoring through OpenManage is greatly appreciated!

Personally, my system is as follows:

1. Install OpenManage on all new Dell servers

2. Setup Search for OpenManage on Servers in Labtech

--OS like %server%

--Related - Software Installed / Name Like %OpenManage%

3. Create group based on the search

4. Apply a script weekly(could be more often) to all the members of the group to install SNMP and set it to Public

Version="105.247"
Name="LabTech Script Expansion"
Type="PackedScript">

5. Create monitors in the group to monitor the wanted OIDs

--OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.140.1.1.4.1 for VD1 Status

--OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.140.1.1.4.2 for VD2 Status

--OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1.200.10.1.24.1 for Internal Temperature

The VD ones return the status of the disk. There are several possible outputs, but the only one that is an all good is a 1. So I check that the results equals 1.

As for the temperature, 3 is the expected return value.

I found all of this in a PDF Dell put out, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Enough searching should turn up a full list of Dell Server OIDs and expected values.

I like that script to enable SNMP, thanks, we've been doing that by hand.

I'm attaching our exported group config bc we have a few more OIDs we're monitoring for in there, maybe others might find useful.

DellOpenManage.zip

Hi,

Made some minor improvements to Danielfirefold's script that he posted above, addressing the following:

1. On my test systems the script always ended in ELSE. The key did not exist on my systems since they don't have SNMP installed. We got -9999 back from the key check in the opening IF according to the debugger. I'd think that's at least NOT= to 'public' but apparently the LT script engine disagrees. So I changed the opening IF to just check for the existence of the key.

2. The original version of the script installs the SNMP service using dism but not the SNMP RSAT tools that you'd get with a gui install. Dism won't install that. No biggie, but you lose the ability to manage SNMP from the gui since your services.msc will lack an Agent, Traps, and Security tab on your SNMP service properties dialog. Some powershell fixes that, and I also took the extra step of moving the whole install to powershell, no more dism.

I tested it once or twice and it ran ok on my end. Your results may vary obv. Whenever I import other people's scripts they end up in randomly named folders and I can't find them so I'm posting screenshots too.

Credit to danielfirefold for the original.

JH

SNMP Install and Public_v0.2.zip

screenshot.png.33527d4515f2e71e62afe2efc70fe2e7.png

Edited by Guest

Good work!

Though mine is the OpenManage install script, credit for the SNMP install goes to DanialFireFold!

Hello,

Can someone clarify how these remote monitors work? I've implemented the group with the monitors and the search to add the machines. Once the servers are in the monitoring group, do I need to configure probes for each location? Then do I just ensure SNMP is enabled in OpenManage?

Like pengstrom, I am confused about how to add the monitors to the group. Adding a remote monitor to the group using the wizard asks for an IP or hostname to monitor, and I'm not sure what to put in there. Can anyone provide some clarification?

Thanks jyhirth. I assumed it was localhost. I'm 98% confident that everything is configured correctly, but when I test the monitor on any one of my servers, it results in an error status. Any troubleshooting tips?

Nevermind. I was trying to use the built-in SNMP monitor for Dell RAID DiskStatus. When I used the OMSA OID's listed above, I get the appropriate results. Thank you for your help.

This setup has been working great so far, until recently when I discovered that I am not getting alerts for issues with VD0. The OID values I'm using seem to correspond to the VD number (see below), but I can't figure out how to monitor VD0.

• 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.140.1.1.4.1 for VD1 Status
  • 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.140.1.1.4.2 for VD2 Status
  • 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.140.1.1.4.3 for VD3 Status
  • and so on

I've tried using 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.140.1.1.4.0 for VD0 Status, and even tried dropping the last digit completely (1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.140.1.1.4), but I'm just getting errors. Is anyone successfully monitoring VD0 status using SNMP?