raffi

Alerting and notification of cloud related issues

We had an issue last week where we couldn't connect to the cloud console and screen connected was very slow to react.

We contacted support and they restarted the instance. What concerned me was that with the solution down for a couple of hours we were blind of any problems during the overnight hours.

More concerning was that it did generate a ticket at ConnectWise but no one did any work on it.

How can we monitor our own server? I ended up just setting up two pingdom monitors to the control web interface and the ScreenConnect web interface but I know that's not enough

Maybe set up a script that does a page request from both of them and if anything but some known good values are returned it throws an alarm? I'm just guessing here, this sub forum is pretty much a ghost town now.

Maybe set up a script that does a page request from both of them and if anything but some known good values are returned it throws an alarm? I'm just guessing here, this sub forum is pretty much a ghost town now.

Any solution that uses the LT Server to monitor the LT Server is not going to work, and any agent script still relies on the server. There are LTServer Execute and LTServer Download? script functions that can run a shell command or retrieve a url. If you could gather some key WMI parameters or shell command output showing the CPU load, etc., and then trigger a URL like http://mycustompage.domain/getstats.pXXX?cpuload=@cpuload@&othervalue=@somethingelse@, then something at mycustompage.domain could alert if a value was too high, or if there was no check-in within X minutes. I don't have any solutions in mind, you would have to have another web server at your disposal and write some custom scripting on both ends to make it work.

External page fetches into the LT Server might be enough though, if the WCC page returns a Server Too Busy, or times out, etc. then you can pretty safely say there is a problem, even if you can't detect the CPU load or slow DB access conditions that could cripple all other operations.

I was thinking they would use another box on an EC2 instance in a different region or something to that effect.