DarrenWhite99

Dell Command Update - Collect Updates to prepare for installation

This script uses Dell Command Update to identify available updates, download them, and then send the user an email running down what updates were retrieved. Because Dell keeps messing with their site layout it is possible that the "Info" links in the email will be incorrect. You may need to (now, or in the future) adjust the URL. I made it as a way to prepare a machine for updates, so that any applicable update files could be gathered to the machine, and then a technician could manually determine which updates were needed and install them. I didn't want to take the step of simply installing every available update, but that functionality could probably be added without too much difficulty.

UPDATE - 20170728 - I discovered an error today. If you tried the script on a Dell and it said that your machine was not recognized, that was a logic error in step 14. It should be testing for a value ">0" (I believe the incorrect test was "Not=1"). I have attached an updated copy of the script with this corrected.

Dell Command - Update - Retrieve Client Updates.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wow there is a lot going on in this script. im going to attempt to update it to automatically install the updates to run against some test machines.

@Dsinton44, did you ever get your auto install version up and running?  We're looking into trying to use something like this, or Darren's other script around iDracs, to help speed up new workstation setup times.

@mr.wallstrom, I've been working on it. Right now I have a working auto-install DCU script (w/optional auto-reboot/recall), but it doesn't have any (working) logging or error handling functions. All I have right now is an email of the DCU XML report to the person that ran the script — haven't finished the log/report parsing and error handling yet.

I should have something working to share by the end of this week... I have a lot of new Dells to build that could use this.

Edited by tonkabay
Adding ZIP of script
  • Like 1

@mr.wallstrom Attached are two scripts — one installs (or upgrades) Dell Command Update, and the other utilizes dcu-cli.exe to install all available updates and reboot. I have yet to implement logging of dcu-cli output or error/return code handling, so at the moment, the script is unaware of the what was installed, which updates were successful, or whether a reboot is required (the script simply assumes one is required and does so, unless param AutoReboot is set "false"). If any of you want to help out with adding that, I'd certainly appreciate it!

These scripts rely heavily on @DarrenWhite99's fantastic GetFile and "Email Script Results to Technician" scripts. I don't think these XML exports will import GetFile or "Email Script Results to Technician" for you, so you'll probably need to get those separately and ensure they are linked properly wherever you see that they are called within the "Run Script" functions in these 2 scripts.

More info is contained within the notes for each script. Note that these scripts are only tested on DCU-compatible Dell models running Win10 v1607 or later. Also note that you must place the DCU installers in the appropriate directory on your LTShare (as written, Software\Dell Command Update\Dell-Command-Update_@TargetVersion@.exe, where TargetVersion = 2.4.0), available here (you want 2.4.0, NOT 3.0!). Be sure to look over the scripts and the variables, globals, and parameters before deploying this script en masse.

Hope this helps out, and sorry if my script isn't as well commented/portable as others on this site... this is my first script contribution to LTG ;)

LTG_DCU_InstallUpdatesandReboot.zip

Edited by tonkabay
Adding ZIP of script XML

1 hour ago, tonkabay said:

These scripts rely heavily on @DarrenWhite99's fantastic GetFile and "Email Script Results to Technician" scripts. I don't think these XML exports will import GetFile or "Email Script Results to Technician" for you, so you'll probably need to get those separately and ensure they are linked properly wherever you see that they are called within the "Run Script" functions in these 2 scripts.

Hope this helps out, and sorry if my script isn't as well commented/portable as others on this site... this is my first script contribution to LTG ;)

Welcome to the contributors club! 😀 FYI, if you export the script from the script editor (the "normal" way you export) it will automatically bundle script references such as EDF's, other scripts (like GetFile) and in some cases even file references. Also, I don't see any attachments to your message. Make sure that you zip the scripts up, I believe only certain file types are accepted for attachments. You should be able to edit the message and try attaching again, or you could start a new topic for your scripts and then just leave a link to them in this thread.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip @DarrenWhite99. I've edited my post to include a ZIP of the update script, which should bundle the other dependencies as you said.

Once this script is more mature, I'll probably start a new topic for it.

• Thanks 1