DarrenWhite99

CWA Agent Version Update Monitor

This monitor identifies the current agent version for OSX, Linux and Windows Agents. Each hour the monitor checks for agents that are not at the current version, and issues the Agent Update command to a small batch of online agents. It will only issue the command once per day for any particular agent, and only if there are no pending/executing update commands already in the queue.

This has been moved to the File Download section. You can download it here: https://www.mspgeek.com/files/file/45-cwa-agent-version-update-monitor/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Hi Darren, I imported your SQL file.

The monitor is created and works, where have you configured the agent update command ?

As I do not see any alerting configured in the monitor, but the old agent which were not updated do already update.

So it seems to work, but for my self I am figuring out how you have done this ......

Simply, RAWSQL monitors just mean “Run this SQL” and it looks for specific results that allow it to generate alerts, etc.

I am cheating because my monitor has more than one SQL statement in it. So before returning results, it identifies a limited number of outdated agents that are online and have not already been asked to update within the past 24 hours, AND directly inserts the command telling the agent to update. THEN it returns the results expected for a monitor.

In this way no separate alerting or scripting is needed because every time the monitor runs (hourly) it will select a few more agents and tell them to update right away.

The exact limit is different for everyone as it is based on how many agents you are licensed for. The limit is set when you import the monitor to be able to get through all agents in about 24 hours.  (So, IIRC, it sets the limit at around 5% of your total agent count)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boy am I glad I found this. I was looking into customizing this monitor to autofix, but it looks like someone beat me to the punch. 😁

One question though, should I do anything with the existing monitor for out of date agents? My understanding is this monitor just updates agents, so I'd leave the pre-existing monitor in place to create tickets.

Thanks as always for these stellar monitors!

You CAN use my monitor to generate the tickets. The monitor only triggers updates in batches, but it always reports all out of date agents. Just set to "Send Success After Failure" and change the alert template from Do Nothing to Create Ticket. The monitor will heal and close the ticket once the agent is updated, so you could just watch for any tickets that stay open for more than 3 days or so as that suggests that the agent is having problems updating and some manual intervention may be needed.

You can do whatever with the stock monitor, I don't think it has any particular advantage.

how do i delete the SQL that creates this monitor? *** figured that out.

It appears to have created multiple monitors that are alerting on the same 5 servers in a customer Azure cloud env. *** i'll figure this out.

Edited by dtrent01

8 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

Dumb question -I'm assuming one has to add a monitor target (e.g., "All Agents") to this after import?

If you have NO targets, then EVERY agent is a target... Targeting is a way to limit where it applies.. (Unless you target "All Agents".. But why?)

On 11/21/2018 at 12:10 AM, DarrenWhite99 said:

If you have NO targets, then EVERY agent is a target... Targeting is a way to limit where it applies.. (Unless you target "All Agents".. But why?)

Darren,

It was just for my understanding.  Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.

Also, the advantage is that right now, Windows XP Agents will be broken by Patch 11 (which has been yanked, but I'm unsure if this will happen again when it is released).  I want to keep XP/2003 class agents from updating off of Patch 10, so this is very helpful.

Edited by LoneWolf