dlong93

Populate a serial number

Our computers are custom built and so when we add them to LabTech they don't pull an actual serial number they tend to get "To be filled by O.E.M." 

We currently use Gigabyte motherboards and it seems that going through their Business portal is the best route to get the "Integrator Tool" in hopes of being able to customize the serial number for our machines to match our documentation process. However, I can't get anyone to reply after my initial e-mail.

Does anyone know of a motherboard manufacturer that is responsive and has such a tool for a company that builds computers for clients?

I was curious about this myself.. It looks like properly registering as an OEM/Integrator with Gigabyte is the way to go.

That said, I found these things interesting.

• This post shows many of the system tools needed to set asset/serial information with many products. Gigabyte was not listed, but this page seems like a good starting point. 
  • Looking at Gigabyte, their page on BIOS flashing (https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/WebPage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.html) shows that they use AMI or AWARD BIOS:
    • 3 : DOS Flash utility
    • Features--The flash utility is a combination of AMI and AWARD BIOS flash utility. You can use it with both AMI and AWARD BIOS
  • Even new systems use a DOS based flash utility. Picking on one particular board from their "Durable" line, the BIOS update included a utility called "EFIFLASH.EXE"
    • Extracting string information from the file revealed the command line parameters it supports:
      • Usage: EFIFLASH [Input or Output File Name] [Command]..
        Commands:
                /S - Save ROM image to file
                /C - Clear DMI Data
                /R - Reboot System after BIOS Update
    • The update also included a batch file to install the update, using this command: Efiflash X150MPWS.F21b
    • From this, I gather that EFIFLASH can write data, save the current BIOS (ROM) Image to disk, or clear DMI Data.
  • Pulling threads together..
    • The first link explains how AMI BIOS data is edited with this statement:
      • The ASUS boards all had an AMI BIOS and you need DMI editing tools specific to that vendor (AMI) in order to set the asset tags.
    • The EFIFLASH tool from Gigabyte confirms that DMI Data can be edited (cleared). The previous statement suggests that DMI editing is what is needed to set asset tags.
    • The first link also shows the options supported by the AMI BIOS DMI Editor for DOS (AMIDEDOS.EXE). The "/DUMPALL" parameter looks interesting.
    • Lenovo actually provides this tool, but it does not seem to be specific to Lenovo. The example shows how the tool was able to reset data for an ASUS motherboard.
    • AMI also makes has a windows based version, AMIDEWIN.EXE.

And I am stopping here, because this went from exploratory to practical....  Whaaaa?

FYI, I pulled the utility from a link on this page: http://www.moddersmilk.net/2015/08/using-ami-dmi-editor-under-windows-10.html

Edited by DarrenWhite99
  • Thanks 1

.. Whaaa?? Continued..

While learning about this stuff myself, I figured I would see if I could use the tool on a client system with the useless "To Be Filled By O.E.M" for the serial number. So I connected with CWControl, logged in with Administrator permissions, and tested it out on a motherboard from MSI/Micro-Star. This is what happened.

DMIEDIT-MSI-Serial.JPG.e3346bd371d2152641a555b529c0e7c4.JPG

Mini Mind Blow. Was it that easy?

I found a system with a Gigabyte motherboard. I transferred and extracted the utilities, and then wondered: Could this be used through CWAutomate, in the background?

DMIEDIT-Gigabyte-Serial.JPG.bb74346e64bd6ba7535957fa4ccd76fd.JPG

Oh yes it did...  That just happened.  You can also set the Chassis Asset Tag with /CA ["String"].

Batman-Lego-Mic-Drop.gif.9b3bb42420500aa31998ac7b309764be.gif

The .zip with the AMIDEWIN tool, and the graphical DMIEDIT tool is attached below.

DMIEDIT_utility.zip

Edited by DarrenWhite99
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I totally didn't read your second post until after I tested booting into a flash drive with this utility...that is awesome! We may have a few to many computers out in Automate land haha but it is great to know it works there to!

Thanks a ton!

@DarrenWhite99 Did you happen to try and script this? I was able to script it with a batch file for local modifications (Our new builds) and I got a script that somewhat works but when it comes to the AMI commands I get "Unable to load drivers".

Never tried scripting, I only tried running using the Remote Command shell. I believe I ran as System. Are you running the script as Admin? And if you try running the batch file (or commands) locally on the computer, does it work? (Perhaps the motherboard/bios isn't supported?)

Nah, the batch script works fine, I also ran the script shell commands as admin and it gave me the same results...I'm not sure what the problem is.

I have used Shell as User, Shell as Admin, Shell the only one I haven't used is Shell Enhanced but I don't think that'll make a difference.

Shell (Execute) is the one I believe you should try/should work. Perhaps if you posted an example of your batch script I might be able to spot anything that I think could cause an issue.

Well, I have two scripts, one that is a batch file for our service center to use and then I put together a script using the LabTech scripting engine, that's the one that isn't working correctly.

I actually tried to manually run the commands like you did and it still didn't work.

Edited by dlong93

Alright.. Figured this out.. You need to change to the directory where the application is saved and run it directly.

If the program was at: C:\Windows\LTSvc\Packages\AMI-DMIEDIT\dmiedit\AMIDEWIN.EXE
You would run:
CD /D "C:\Windows\LTSvc\Packages\AMI-DMIEDIT\dmiedit" & AMIDEWIN.EXE /xxxx

Any tips for getting serial for virtual machines? We primarily use VMWare, so it reports the VMWare serial number instead of the Dell one for the hardware it is running on. Then you have to log into the vSphere client to find the hardware serial.

Following the thread of the main purpose of this post, you wouldn't want to replace that serial, because there are multiple virtual machines that would then have the same physical serial (though I supposed it wouldn't hurt to have duplicates). I didn't read all of the details, but I'm not sure it would work on a VM anyway.

Posted (edited)

@DarrenWhite99  I hate reviving an old post, but Darren - is it possible to share the download link again for the editor?  It was removed, and I can't access it.  Thanks!  

Edited by Indaleco

On 4/11/2019 at 4:06 PM, Indaleco said:

@DarrenWhite99  I hate reviving an old post, but Darren - is it possible to share the download link again for the editor?  It was removed, and I can't access it.  Thanks!  

? I was able to download it without a problem. It is attached to the THIRD post (Just below Mic Drop Lego Batman)

It is called DMIEDIT_utility.zip.....