timwiser

Running Automate in Azure

On 2/22/2019 at 1:38 PM, Michael Martin said:

Equally on each Azure VM we have a temp drive which has higher IOPS than premium SSD but is obviously not persistant can MySql temp logs be utilised there to speed up the system.

Also if the RAM is sufficient can the DB not be loaded fully into RAM - what are the drawbacks / potential issues to this?

Forgive me if these seem lame or potentially dumb questions but as the only response to date from Automate has been "computer says no" and "Azure is not suitable" I need to come up with some sort of a plan as to how to move forward and equally the number of partners I know running Automate on Azure may need further information than "you should have gone with AWS".

Thanks
Michael

Michael,

The Azure Temp drive has good IOPS and is not persistent, so it seems it could be a RAM disk. The temp directory for MySQL can be used here, but if it crashes and the drive is not available even to show the files that got force closed (may be corrupted), the MySQL log will be littered with errors about #sql files missing, and this can lead you down a dark path of inflation of IBDATA1, resulting in long-term performance impact. DB rebuilds are done often due to inflation, so I would avoid this at all costs unless you're ready to rebuild the DB a lot..

Other points.. we suggest 50% alloc of on-disk data-size in-RAM's Buffer_pool_size. 

10GB DB on Disk (excluding logs) ? 5GB Buffer for MySQL OR higher, is best.
On a 32GB server, we use 21GB for a buffer pool size since.. 20% overhead .. and Windows / Other processes need ram (including windows caching routines).

If your 21GB buffer on that 32GB server has a 42GB DB, technically it's meeting best practice.
For larger DBs, or DBs that need a larger RAM buffer to cache queries hitting a table that may exceed 50% of the on-disk (total) data size for \Labtech\ may need further optimization or more RAM.

The "buffer_pool_instances" goes along with buffer pool size. Less instances and lots of connections? Thread Lock Contention occurs.
Buffer pool instances should be 40 if 40GB buffer is used, but 39 and lower would also work..

41 instances and 40Gb buffer = no no since it doesn't match the 1:1 (or less) rule of 1GB (no less) or more per buffer pool instance rule.
Max value is 64 for this line above in quotes.

I would prioritize disk performance and 4 cores FIRST, then work on more than RAM. The SSD disk (real ssd) and 4 Cores / 16GB RAM is a min spec I would set for servers with a 0~20GB DB sizes

Edited by dfleisch