gcaravelli

PSA: Change this monitor if you use Ignite with Hyper-V host servers

We saw various Hyper-V virtual machines having unclean shutdowns and eventually pinned it down to the default autofix action of the SVC-vmms monitor (i.e. start the service).  The problem is that it was attempting to start the vmms service during planned reboots of the Hyper-V host after it put VMs in a saved state.  This caused the VMs to be brought out of a saved state DURING the host's shutdown, resulting in an unclean shutdown.  We've seen this mostly with Server 2016, but also a few 2012 R2 hosts.

• Thanks 1

I just set the autofix action as "Do Nothing" for the time being.  I've notified Labtech and hopefully they'll modify it with more intelligent logic to prevent this unintended behavior.

Our solution for this was to change Save to Shut down. The save action on the VM does not bring it up cleanly when the host goes down, so we would see network issues requiring additional reboots.

That may not resolve the issue with this Labtech monitor as your host would simply start booting your VMs when the vmms service gets started by Labtech.  This is just my guess--I have not tested it.

An easy fix (not in Labtech) is to specify a long enough Startup delay in each VM's Hyper-V configuration to be long enough to avoid being started during the host's shutdown.  Full disclosure: I have not tested this.