Sign in to follow this  
ddausch

Dataview for Product Keys with Computer Contact

Hello,

I've managed to use the Dataview Creator to get what I need out of Labtech, but I can't figure this one out.

I want to take the All Product Keys dataview and add computer and contact information to it so that we can report software licenses with users and machines included. Plz help!

The ProductKeys table has a clientid and a computerid column. So joining in table 'computers' and linking by 'computerid' should be straightforward enough in the Dataview Creator

The Computers table has a contactid column. Joining in table 'contacts' and linking by 'contactid' should allow you to add Contact columns to the dataview.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I'm trying to follow your instructions and I can't get it to work. I've made a copy of the Product Keys dataview. I end up with a blank dataview or it locks up and I have to restart LT. Should the Join Types for Computers or Contacts tables be changed from No Join? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this thing, but I've managed to get some use out of it. This would be super helpful.

I think the part where you say "and linking by" is where I'm getting lost.

Edited by ddausch

Linking by 'computerid' meant Joining computers ON computers.computerid=productkeys.computerid.

You definitely don't want the join type to be "No Join". Straight JOIN would be fine. LEFT JOIN allows the joining table to match no rows, and then any references to that table's field could return null. You might actually want left join for contacts (LEFT JOIN Contacts ON contacts.contactid=computers.contactid) if there are computers with no Contact assigned and you still want to see them in the dataview.

OK here is a screenshot of what I have tried with your last update. I added the columns computers.computerid and contacts.contactid at the bottom. I have tried all this a number of ways now, so you're my only saving grace. When I test this, it's blank. Maybe something stands out for you. I'd like to learn more about this tool, but I know it's unsupported and I don't know how much longer it will be around. Thanks!

dataviewcreator.jpg

The clients table should JOIN to the productkeys table, with column clientid joining to column clientid. 

Not sure if that will change the outcome, but at least the tables should be correctly linked.