HillTech

Offboarding Schedule

When you need to offboard a client, how do you handle the scheduling of the offboarding script.  If I run the script as a run once, will the machines that aren't online get removed when they come online?  If not, is there a way to make this happen?

Thanks

I use a customized offboarding script. It removes several pieces of software that we manage, ensure scratch/install source folders are wiped, call the Probe Removal script if a probe needs to be offboarded, etc. It also has a step that re-schedules itself to run in 45 minutes in the beginning before any removal work is done. This way if after the removal if it fails the script should run again right away. If the agent is removed, the script will remain queued for a period of days in case it re-activates.  I should mention, the stock offboarding script calls the computer delete procedure. I do not, so the agent remains in place after my script completes. This allows the followup script to remain scheduled, etc. I manually delete agents once offboarding has been completed.

The Offboarding script is not an offline script. If you run it against an offline agent the script will remain queued for several days until they come online.  So for initial Offboarding steps I will schedule the Offboarding Script to run once a day for maybe 5 days, but do not skip offline agents. This ensures that the script remains queued for at least a week, and even if it failed to complete and the agent comes back online the script should run again.

For final offboarding stages when I am not targeting specific computers, I have a group for Offboarding. The group has the offboarding script scheduled to run hourly against any online agents in the group or subgroups. I have a client called _Disabled and it has a location named "Agent Offboarding". This Location is linked to a group below "Offboarding". I move agents to the _Disabled\Agent Offboarding location when they keep showing back up (the agent keeps reinstalling), especially if their original client/location has been removed and they popped up in Location 1.  I will also link groups/locations for any client that I am performing final offboarding for underneath the Offboarding group. The scheduled script on the main Offboarding group runs on all of these subgroups.

• Thanks 2

Looks like you have a very detailed process.  This is the first time I need to go through this, so I haven't laid out the process yet.  Thanks for your input!

On 11/23/2017 at 3:35 PM, DarrenWhite99 said:

I use a customized offboarding script. It removes several pieces of software that we manage, ensure scratch/install source folders are wiped, call the Probe Removal script if a probe needs to be offboarded, etc. It also has a step that re-schedules itself to run in 45 minutes in the beginning before any removal work is done. This way if after the removal if it fails the script should run again right away. If the agent is removed, the script will remain queued for a period of days in case it re-activates.  I should mention, the stock offboarding script calls the computer delete procedure. I do not, so the agent remains in place after my script completes. This allows the followup script to remain scheduled, etc. I manually delete agents once offboarding has been completed.

The Offboarding script is not an offline script. If you run it against an offline agent the script will remain queued for several days until they come online.  So for initial Offboarding steps I will schedule the Offboarding Script to run once a day for maybe 5 days, but do not skip offline agents. This ensures that the script remains queued for at least a week, and even if it failed to complete and the agent comes back online the script should run again.

For final offboarding stages when I am not targeting specific computers, I have a group for Offboarding. The group has the offboarding script scheduled to run hourly against any online agents in the group or subgroups. I have a client called _Disabled and it has a location named "Agent Offboarding". This Location is linked to a group below "Offboarding". I move agents to the _Disabled\Agent Offboarding location when they keep showing back up (the agent keeps reinstalling), especially if their original client/location has been removed and they popped up in Location 1.  I will also link groups/locations for any client that I am performing final offboarding for underneath the Offboarding group. The scheduled script on the main Offboarding group runs on all of these subgroups.

Darrenwhite99, I know this is old but i am wondering if you can post this script. i am currently in need of something exactly like this.