bigdog09

Automate - Patch Upgrade Guide [Apply 2020.7 ASAP]

Running Patch 20.2

Seems okay,  except Reports on Locations not working any more. Filed as bug and working on it.

I haven't heard that one, yet. Thanks for the input @skyper. Let me investigate and see if I can find out how widespread that is.

Good morning all,

not sure if this is the right thread to post on but it is related to the new 2020 patches.  So far, I'm running the last available patch before 2020.  When installing 2020 it prompts for mfa creds and SHOULD email out a code.  Well, we use Duo for mfa in addition to single sign on and it doesn't matter if I use my ad creds or my local Automate creds (bypassing Duo) no email is ever sent.  Everything smtp wise is setup correctly and has been verified with CW support.  At this point, I still have a month old ticket open with them and they've escalated it to the top devs supposedly.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and could offer any insight as now I'm 3 patches behind.  Smtp goes through O365 and the account can be authenticated through the web just fine so I know the password is correct.  This also leads me to believe this is why tray ticketing also does not work.

We don't use O365 (yet) but in our SMTP setup we installed the Windows SMTP server on the CWA server, configure it to allow relaying from localhost:25, and then configure it to send out to our Exchange server (or O365 or whatever) as a smart host.

The 2020.2 patch release notes mention and link to https://docs.connectwise.com/ConnectWise_Automate/ConnectWise_Automate_Documentation/060/120/045, did you go through that? (note the Version radio button at the top of page)

@ryno252 First let's see if email works at all in your Automate instance. Create a new script > Add a new function > Select 'Email' > add your email address with whatever subject/body text you want. Run the script on a machine and see if you get the email.

If you don't get an email then either A.) You have an outlook/exchange/SPAM filter rule that's moving/deleting the email or B.) It's actually broken and you'll unfortunately have to wait for support. Don't be afraid to call them and prod them along.

However if the email did go through, then it might be your account. Give this a shot:
Create a new account > Make the account a super admin > make sure to add a valid email > use the new account creds to install the update. If successful, then you can delete the account.

Our first attempt to upgrade from 2019.12 to 2020.2 resulted in the installer completely hosing our server, to the point that we had to restore from backup.

It would appear that the installer does not handle file replacements in the "C:\inetpub\wwwroot" folder safely, and is unable to roll back the changes if an issue is encountered while replacing these files.

In our case, the installer deleted all files in "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\cwa", then encountered a locked file that it was unable to replace. This triggered an installation failure and automatic rollback (the user is not given the option of attempting to fix the issue, it just rolls back on its own), but DID NOT restore any of the files deleted from the "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\cwa" folder. This resulted in Automate being basically non-functional, with all logins failing.

Posted (edited)
On 3/10/2020 at 9:41 AM, bigdog09 said:

@ryno252 First let's see if email works at all in your Automate instance. Create a new script > Add a new function > Select 'Email' > add your email address with whatever subject/body text you want. Run the script on a machine and see if you get the email.

If you don't get an email then either A.) You have an outlook/exchange/SPAM filter rule that's moving/deleting the email or B.) It's actually broken and you'll unfortunately have to wait for support. Don't be afraid to call them and prod them along.

However if the email did go through, then it might be your account. Give this a shot:
Create a new account > Make the account a super admin > make sure to add a valid email > use the new account creds to install the update. If successful, then you can delete the account.

Thanks for the advice guys.  Unfortunately all of your suggestions haven't worked.  Looks like I've got to wait on support.  Bigdog...B applies to my situation because the Error log actually says sending of the email failed.  I just don't get it.

**UPDATE**  So I ended up resolving the issue by pointing the smtp to my CW Manage server (and adding the IP) instead since it has a connector set in it to hit O365.  Internally it's set at 25 and from Manage to O365 over 587.  I believe it's a firewall issue on my end somewhere since the servers reside in the DMZ and manage may have different rules set up than Automate.

Edited by ryno252

Just took the plunge and upgraded to 2020.3, since we were having some odd issues with 2020.2 (such as group auto-joins not working). So far no major problems with 2020.3 and it seems to have fixed our auto-join issue. The only niggle I noticed was that the remote agent tray icon reverted from our custom ICO to the default Automate gear, but resetting that in the Default template and sending an Update Config command to all agents quickly fixed it.

Will post if we notice anything else amiss, but it sure is nice having Maintenance Mode options in the web now!

Thanks for the update @maxgruv

I've added Patch 2020.3 to the front page. Sorry, I'm a little late to the party on that front. Be sure to post any issues/bugs you might be experiencing to keep everyone updated and informed.

Thanks guys!

Patch 2020.4 added

You know the drill - Post any issues/problems you might have to keep us all in the loop.

Thanks again everyone!

Anybody take the plunge with 2020.4 yet? I'm planning to update tonight and hoping no news is good news...

I installed 2020.4 a week ago.  The only issue we've found is that after the first restart of a workstation, the tray icon has the default "gear" image.  It corrects after an "update config" command or when configs are next updated.

Thanks for the info @SteveYates. I noticed the tray icon reset as well on an earlier release. We switched to hiding the tray icon and using DeskDirector portal for our visible agent recently so that hasn't been an issue, but good to know that's the only problem you've seen.

Posted (edited)

2020.5 - Can't deploy new network probes using the fat-client - You're prompted with a web CC style login page that loops back round - This is only the case for sites that don't have previously existing probe configuration, those that do deploy OK.

You also can't edit the configuration of existing probes, it gives you the same login prompt.

EDIT: You can edit configurations from the web client, but there's no way to deploy new probes from the web client that I can see. The button still doesn't work.

Edited by Liquidfox

@Liquidfox Thanks for the info. I've added the bug to the front page. I've seen several people in Slack complaining about probe related issues in 2020.5

After installing the second 2020.4 hotfix and also after installing 2020.5 and its hotfix, I get a blank page from  https://fqdn/Labtech/Deployment.aspx.  Support tells me:

"...unfortunately the default agent installer is temporarily unavailable and can't be [used]. Our Dev team are aware of this issue and are working on a fix for this issue. The current work around is to use the custom agent installer instead for the moment."

This could confuse agent reinstall scripts that pull the default agent?

Thanks for the heads up on that latest hotfix, @bigdog09. So annoying, I've already got "Hotfix A" installed for 2020.5 and now have to do another. Upgrading to 2020.5 initially broke the integration with our on-premise CW Control server which was loads of fun to fix, so I'm praying to the Automate gods that this hotfix doesn't cause the same issues. Gotta say, 2020.5 has been quite the load of horsepucky.

@maxgruv It might not be fair for me to assume this, but I'm always weary of patches that are released late... especially when there are a ton of revisions. You're not the only one that has been experiencing issues. I labeled 2020.5 as semi-unstable right out of the gate for a reason. :( I'm hoping the next patch is better.

@bigdog09 Yeah, I saw your warning and took a risk with the upgrade, since we had some web scripting funkiness that was supposedly fixed in this patch. I do like having SSO in the desktop Control Center now, but the tradeoff of dealing with upgrade pains has not really been worth it. Appreciate you keeping this thread up so we can at least be on the lookout for possible issues!

Yeah, this patch has really sweetened the pot with its features which makes it very difficult to avoid.

Ignore the Sirens' call. What's beautiful at a distance is an ugly vicious monster up close.

We're on 2020.5 all patched up with the latest hotfix, it looks like any Linux agents that reboot/restart are not checking in properly and can duplicate themselves over and over again until we run out of Automate licenses.

Anyone else seeing similar behavior?  We're also seeing dummy data of "NewComputer" for OS type, etc.

So....doing ITNation On Demand videos today and noticed they said 2020.6 is readily available to the general public....must be missing something as 2020.5 is all I see anywhere on CW.  Definitely looking for to it as it integrates the Control interface into Automate web interface.

Patch 6 was officially released on Thursday. There was definitely some miscommunication around its release, but it's officially here now... though patch 7 should be right on its coat tails.