bigdog09

Automate - Patch Upgrade Guide

This thread is meant to be an overview for each individual Version 12 patch. We know that all patches are not created equal and there are some patches that we should avoid like the plague (I'm looking at you 11.18/12.0). The top post will be consistently updated with known bugs/issues for each patch, so you should know at a glance if you feel comfortable deciding if you want to upgrade or hold out for the next patch.

At the time of creating this - Patch 12.5 (12.0.5.327) has just been released, so the details of previous patches might not be as detailed as patches 12.5 and newer.

Blue = Must install ASAP (unless skipping to a newer patch)
Green = Stable Patch
Orange = Relatively Stable Patch
Red = Unstable Patch

Official ConnectWise Automate Patch Notes for all released patches can be found here

Patch 2019.10 (19.0.10.275)
Benefits/Features:

• Added Web functionality - More Pods/Fly-outs, Tool menu added including Command prompt, Create Companies, manage extensions
  • Outlook and Backup tabs removed (as promised for several months)

Known Bugs/Issues:

•  

Patch 2019.9 (19.0.9.250)
Benefits/Features:

• Again - adding more Web CC features AND ConnectWise Now updates

Known Bugs/Issues:

•  

Patch 2019.8 (19.0.8.225)
Benefits/Features:

• A lot of Web CC updates - It's almost like they want the Web CC to replace the thick client /s

Known Bugs/Issues:

• If you have this patch installed, then please make sure that you're on version 19.0.8.225. There is a major bug in the agent uninstaller that you really don't want to be on the wrong side of in version .224. (source)

Patch 2019.7 (19.0.7.203)
Benefits/Features:

• No major QoL improvements or changes. Several minor tweaks and bug fixes

Known Bugs/Issues:

•  

Patch 2019.6 (19.0.6.161)
Benefits/Features:

• Port 3306 has officially been removed.

Known Bugs/Issues:

•  

Patch 2019.5 (19.0.5.138)
Benefits/Features:

• Command Prompt/Powershell window access added to the Web CC. You can also toggle between running commands as system and as admin.
  • ConnectWise Single Sign On is now live.

Known Bugs/Issues:

•  

Patch 2019.4 (19.0.4.110)
Benefits/Features:

• The Control plugin's issues from the previous patch has been resolved allegedly
  • Several Web CC updates (definitely worth checking out the official release notes)

Known Bugs/Issues:

•  

Patch 2019.3 (19.0.3.78)
Benefits/Features:

• LDAP is finally here! (The old LDAP sync is like Jar Jar Binks, yes it existed but you're better off thinking it didn't)

Known Bugs/Issues:

• Some are reporting an issue installing new CW Control agents via Automate after upgrading to this patch. (source) (fix)

Patch 2019.2 (19.0.2.58)
Benefits/Features:

• This patch includes one of the most important features you can ask for... a server that will still be alive in a month.

Known Bugs/Issues:

• Please consider all non major bugs posted here as secondary. You *must* upgrade to 2019.2 or at least install the hotfix for your current patch (12p11, 12p12, 2019.1)
  • Non SuperAdmins having login issues after changing their passwords. Introduced in 12p12, but still a problem in 2019.2 (source)

Patch 2019.1 (19.0.1.38)
Benefits/Features:

• New Versioning  - This change was put in place to further mirror the rest of the ConnectWise Suite.
  • To upgrade to this patch you must currently have a v12 patch installed. You should not attempt to upgrade from v11 or older without first moving to any of the patches listed here (preferably v12 patch 12)

Known Bugs/Issues:

• 19.0.1.35 was the original version released to the masses, but a newer version was pushed out shortly after. If you're installing or have installed this patch be sure that it ends in .38 not .35 .36 or .37
  • Seems like there might be a problem with the new network probe on this patch. (source + workaround)
Edited by bigdog09
2019.10 release
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

2018:

Patch 12 (12.0.12.497)
Benefits/Features:

• XP/2003 resurrected (if you are upgrading from patch 11, then you might need to reinstall the agent on these machines)
    • You should really look into upgrading or dropping these machines. Time is not in your favor.

Known Bugs/Issues:

• Non SuperAdmins having login issues after changing their passwords. (source)

Patch 11 (12.0.11.475)
***PLEASE READ BEFORE UPGRADING*** 
Server 2003 and XP machines will no longer be supported starting with this Patch. Tread carefully.
All Agents must have .Net 3.5 installed prior to the update for the Watchdog Service (even if a newer version is currently installed)

Benefits/Features:

• More updates to the Web CC and Gen 2 Probe
  • Several bug fixes that have been plaguing CWA for awhile (including Opening the wrong Control session)

Known Bugs/Issues:

• Server 2003 and XP machines will no longer be supported starting with this Patch.
  • All Agents must have .Net 3.5 installed prior to the update for the Watchdog Service (even if a newer version is currently installed)
  • Pulled and re-released by Connectwise

Patch 10 (12.0.10.451)
(This is the first patch with heavily mixed reviews. The consensus seems to be that you should definitely update to this patch and deal with the potential CPU problems)
Benefits/Features:

• The refresher bug has officially been patched. Reason enough to update to Patch 10
  • The Network Map is here! (and more importantly the Gen2 Probe) Thanks @MartynKeigher for all of your team's hard work getting this in place.
    (Click here to view several helpful Probe related links including a FAQ guide written by Martyn himself.)

Known Bugs/Issues:

• Several people are reporting CPU problems which either manifests in MySQL or IIS
  • Introduced a bug with the FileUpload script step. Will encounter a timeout when a parenthesis is present in the source/destination path/file name. (source)

Patch 9 (12.0.9.428)
Benefits/Features:

• Nothing special, just a laundry list of bug fixes

Known Bugs/Issues:

• Refreshing (token timeout) bug was not patched, but rumors point towards a fix in patch 10

Patch 8 (12.0.8.404)
Benefits/Features:

• Auth Anvil has returned (for you noobs that don't have Duo with YubiKeys 😉)

Known Bugs/Issues:

• CC periodically fails to refresh forcing you to close and relaunch the CC (carryover from Patch 6)

Patch 7 (12.0.7.385)
Benefits/Features:

• More Web Control Center upgrades
  • Script Editor hotkeys - Ctrl + Left/Right to move between words and Alt + Up/Down to move between script steps

Known Bugs/Issues:

• CC periodically fails to refresh forcing you to close and relaunch the CC (carryover from Patch 6)
  • Potential navigation tree errors (i.e. script folders populate, but the scripts themselves do not). Closing and Reopening the CC seems to be the only workaround. (source)

Patch 6 (12.0.6.361)
Benefits/Features:

• New Web Control Center improvements

Known Bugs/Issues:

• CC periodically fails to refresh forcing you to close and relaunch the CC
  • Several errors reported. Client and Agent windows are broken for some people. (source1) (source2)
  • Do not install unless you need to be on this specific build

Patch 5 (12.0.5.327)
Benefits/Features:

• Web Client Installation - The Web Control Center has officially been moved into Production

Known Bugs/Issues:

• Uses the wrong MSI flags when upgrading to Patch 5 if URL Rewrite wasn't installed prior to updating. (source)

Patch 4 (12.0.4.312)
Benefits/Features:

• More Patch Manager improvement for Windows 10 Machines
  • Rest API config improvements
  • SNMP improvements (small improvements to a BIG problem)

Known Bugs/Issues:

• Control Center crashes seem to most prevalent in this version of Automate

Patch 3 (12.0.3.294)
Benefits/Features:

• Patch Manager improvements for Windows 10 (1703 or later)
  • Remote/Offline monitor improvements

Known Bugs/Issues:

•  

Patch 2 (12.0.2.269)
Benefits/Features:

• Patch Manager improvements (Follows the Approve/Deny tables more effectively, improved 3rd party logging)

Known Bugs/Issues:

• Script timeouts when running a large scripts or a bulk amount of scripts
  • Report Center exception errors seem to be at their peak

Patch 1 (12.0.1.256)
NOTE: This is the minimum patch for updating from Automate 11 Patch 19
Benefits/Features:

• The first stable Version 12 patch
  • More Maintenance Mode options
  • Better Plugin sorting

Known Bugs/Issues:

•  

Patch 12.0 (12.0.0.240)
NOTE: You can only upgrade to this version from Automate 11 Patch 18 or older
Benefits/Features:

Known Bugs/Issues:

• There are significant issues with Remote Monitoring. This is a re-skin of Automate 11 Patch 18 which was one of the least stable patches of 11.
  • Unless you have a legitimate reason for this specific version, then please consider at least upgrading to Patch 1
Edited by bigdog09
Patch 12 bug
  • Thanks 1

For Patch 5, I pushed an issue up to dev which has now been determined as a Known issue, however, it is not listed on the known issues page yet.

My Ticket: KNOWN ISSUE: Ticket #10149848 regarding " Upgrading v12P04 to v12P05, Installer Stuck on rewrite_amd65.msi /qn /norestart(10120711)

If you already have URL Rewrite Installed on your IIS, then you will not experience the below issue:

Basically when running the Patch 5 update, if you don't have URL Rewrite installed for IIS, the patch attempts to do this for you but appears to use the wrong MSI flags for quiet, norestart, so in the middle of installing the patch you will get an MSI Help Popup and the patching will not continue until you click on ok of this window. There is another step in the patching process where you will get the same pop up. Clicking through both of these MSI Help popups the upgrade seems to complete properly with the exception of the new Web Control Center, it won't install/display if IIS doesn't have URL Rewrite Installed. Minor issue but thought I would share with the community.

Edit: 
image.png.2db404ffd31e3e9eb6c4ff59fe002b8a.png

Edited by dpltadmin
Supposedly the issue is fixed.

Wasn't that a problem before? Like Patch 4? Or earlier? It would trigger an unexpected server restart if you had a restart pending and the feature could not be enabled until after a reboot. As I recall, the reboot mid-upgrade really messed things up for admins.. I'm surprised Patch 5 would include the same (or a very similar) mistake.

17 hours ago, DarrenWhite99 said:

Wasn't that a problem before? Like Patch 4? Or earlier? It would trigger an unexpected server restart if you had a restart pending and the feature could not be enabled until after a reboot. As I recall, the reboot mid-upgrade really messed things up for admins.. I'm surprised Patch 5 would include the same (or a very similar) mistake.

If it was, I don't recall experiencing that.

On my dev server I went from v11p19 -> v12p01 -> v12p04.

When I did the upgrades, my server wasn't pending a reboot.

Found what I was thinking of. From https://university.connectwise.com/university/pageview.aspx?short_name=patch-release-notes

For March/Patch 4:
Ticket #9643521: Resolved an issue that caused the Automation server to be dependant on the presence of the IIS component in order to successfully patch.

As I recall, there was a step in the patch where if an IIS pre-requisite was not already installed, when it installed with was triggering a restart and borking installs.

Patch 6,

anyone with this popup ?

Every Agent/Device has this popup saying: Errorin in loading Cliet Tab: Table 0 cannot be found

image.png.7055faf89f010f67c50237159de8e6d9.png

On 6/12/2018 at 11:41 AM, skyper said:

Patch 6,

anyone with this popup ?

Every Agent/Device has this popup saying: Errorin in loading Cliet Tab: Table 0 cannot be found

Yes, we are also having these issues, not all of the time though, and yes indeed since Patch 6

On 6/12/2018 at 5:41 AM, skyper said:

Patch 6,

anyone with this popup ?

Have you updated to build 361? Just asking because the agent in your image is not a 361 build. There was a rebuild of Patch 6 (.361). I'd first try that, of course, if you haven't. 

On 6/12/2018 at 10:41 AM, skyper said:

Patch 6,

anyone with this popup ?

Did you manage to get anywhere with this error? I've been getting it since the upgrade. Installed the latest patch last weekend with no difference.

Same here, but it's not every user. It doesn't happen on the server, doesn't happen on my PC. Seems to be same version of .NET and same permissions. 

Similar issue here.

Installed v12.0.361 on Friday night (updated from v12 p5).

Super Admins don't get these errors,  but everyone else gets it for each Computer Management window. If the tech opens additional Computer Management screens within the same window, then there is no error. The Computer Management screen still seems to load properly.

I contact support and was told:

this issue is trending, it is related to the Standards and Health plugin, dev is working on a fix. Currently the only work around is to disable the Standards and Health plugin

1764048350_Error-ComputerScreen-6-25-18.png.5365a8e5be0864f75226bd2d4d7d4563.png

Thanks for the input guys. I've updated the list with sources. If you experience problems with a patch, then post it here with details on the issues, workarounds if you know them, remediation steps, etc.

On 6/25/2018 at 4:08 PM, toril said:

Similar issue here.

Installed v12.0.361 on Friday night (updated from v12 p5).

Super Admins don't get these errors,  but everyone else gets it for each Computer Management window. If the tech opens additional Computer Management screens within the same window, then there is no error. The Computer Management screen still seems to load properly.

I contact support and was told:

1764048350_Error-ComputerScreen-6-25-18.png.5365a8e5be0864f75226bd2d4d7d4563.png

That explains why I am not aware of this. 

On 6/23/2018 at 1:54 AM, Deflect said:

Getting the same error as speakerbox occasionally along with this gem:

image.png.d76330f015495ac0a6358eec94063a2b.png

Yeah, I get that one as well... Labtech support told me to restart the Labtech Database Agent on the server, which fixed it for a few days but then it came back.

Patch 7 has gone through a few different reworks because of issues, so it's still in beta. When a patch is touched up that many times it's difficult to tell if that means it's going to be a solid patch because it's been thoroughly tested or another patch to skip because it's inherently buggy. 

I think the ETA is around the end of this month. A few of the guys are crazy enough to roll it out into production when it's released, so we'll find out soon enough if it's going to be worth it. 

• Sad 1

Patch 7 has been added. If you upgrade and have any issues, then please post them as well as the fix/workaround if there is one to help keep each other informed.

Thanks!

There is currently an issue with the July Microsoft updates that will cause issues with the update process.  The result is that certain services will not stop and start.  Microsoft has already released hotfixes for Server 2008 R2, 2012 R2, and 2016.  However they skipped 2012 (which we are currently on) so we had to uninstall the July updates, reboot, and then reapply Patch 7.

We're seeing an issue with the Control Center under Patch 7 where the body portion of the navigation interface perpetually refreshes or if it does eventually "finish" it shows no results.  So you can bring up the scripts tree and see all the folders, but when choosing a folder it appears empty.  Same with browsing client computers/contacts/network devices/etc. I initially thought this was due to leaving the CC open over-night/for a long period of time but it just happened again today while actively working in there.

Reloading system cache or browsing different elements doesn't resolve the problem.  Restarting the Control Center is the only way I've found to get normal functionality back.