johnsalle

APC SmartConnect Plugin

Has anyone played with the APC SmartConnect plugin yet? I'm having trouble getting it to work, and was wondering if anyone else had success with it yet.

We have a new APC Smart-UPS 2200 that has the SmartConnect functionality in it. I have the APC account created and the UPS is added into that portal successfully. I have a Network Probe scanning on the right network and it's picked up the APC as a network device. Yet, when I go into the APC SmartConnect and try to "Add UPS" it doesn't find anything to add. I've already associated/registered the plugin with my APC account and that seems to be working. 

Not sure what else to look at, and was wondering if anyone else had solved this already before going to LT/APC support. 

Nope, not yet. I ripped out all my probes so I could remove the old network mapping plugin in preparation of moving to the new network probe pilot. Once they get added back in I’ll give it another shot.

On 7/7/2018 at 8:39 AM, DarrenWhite99 said:

Did you get this plugin working? I was just looking at it and wondering if it was worth adding.

Have installed the plugin also, but not tested yet as I saw an article mentioning that this plugin has a license limit op 25 UPS devices. And we have a lot more than just 25.

Hey guys... Any update on this? We've installed the plugin ourselves but so far, its not showing the devices we've registered properly with APC SmartConnect. Would like to know the secret to making this plugin work. - Thanks!

I have figured it out guys. Labtech detects if an UPS is SmartConnect compatible by scanning the MAC address. The probe detection template / tree is not used.

The cloud feature has it's own ethernet jack painted in green with a cloud icon on the back of the unit. To avoid using the cloud, leave it unplugged. The AP963x cards have their own ethernet jack. UPSes that have an embedded version of the card will have ethernet jacks that aren't painted green.
The Cloud feature can not be used with the additional AP NIC cards !

The APC SmartConnect plugin scan's for MAC adresses of this specific GREEN ethernet port, these APC devices are also separate APC devices as you can order a SmartUPS750VA with OR without the SmartConnect functionality

Therefore I think this plugin quite useless when you manage a lot of APC UPS devices with the separate AP NIC.

I asked APC support, and they have comfirmed that the SmartConnect functionality does not work with the APC NIC's which are placed in a Smart Slot. 

Cloud Port (Green Port): Features: UPS Monitoring,Firmware Update & lifecycle management from anywhere to ensure UPS’s are in working order when needed

Management Card Port:  Features: UPS Monitoring, Control and Configuration options from within the company firewall – no direct internet access. Supports network shutdown of physical and virtual infrastructure in conjunction with PCNS.

APC claim to come up with a new NIC with 2 interfaces, 1 for the Green Port and 1 for the Management Card Port (in order to work with PCNS.  For security reasons these ports will always be seperated

Edited by thomasp

thomasp,

Not sure whom at APC you talked with, but this is totally inaccurate.  We have many APC's deployed in field with both SmartConnect Ports and NMC Ports in use and fully functional.  I also have this integrated and fully functional from both smartconnect.apc.com portal and the Automate SmartConnect Plugin.  

APC did have some issues with portal on front end but all these issues have been resolved.  Anyone wanting a SPOG for their held desk/SOC/NOC to review current status of Power Management, this is a good plugin.  On the plus side, you can also enable ticketing in Automate plugin for events.

Good luck all.