SteveIT

Auvik deployment

Here are my auvik deployment script that I've built for a pretty pain free collector install. It assumes a few things.

1. You have the Auvik plugin installed and configured with a user that has collector install rights.
  2. You have MSP client and clients set up in Auvik matching the Auvik/Automate best practices https://support.auvik.com/hc/en-us/articles/212478146-Integrating-ConnectWise-Automate-with-Auvik. (In short, Automate Client = Auvik MSP Client, Automate Location = Auvik Client)
  3. You have all applicable Clients and Locations mapped to their respective MSP Clients and Client sites in the Auvik plugin.

When run normally, the script will determine what Auvik domain to install itself to based on the current computer's location and what Auvik domain it's mapped to in the plugin. It checks for if it's being run on an Automate probe server and tries to disable TFTP in the probe config if it is (Thanks Darren). It also checks for existing services running on TFTP or FTP ports (TCP 69/21), and exits with an error if a conflict is found.

For a client with multiple locations that you wish to install as a shared collector, use the SetToOneForSharedCollector parameter to deploy Windows Service as Shared collector at MSP Client level. The script will find the MSP client domain by matching up the client ID with what is in the plugin table. All that's left is to find the shared collector in the portal and then associate it with the clients you wish to enable it for.

Imports to Scripts\Auvik

Install Auvik Service.xml

Remove Auvik Service.xml

AuvikRole.sql

Edited by SteveIT
Adding updated script exports, role detection
  • Thanks 1

Updated original post with new exports of the install and removal scripts that have the new AuvikService.exe URL which will work correctly moving forward. This also includes the new regional cluster name in the setup URL (us1 in my case). Please modify line 62 of the installer script if you are on a different cluster.

Also added a simple Role Detection sql for Auvik Collector. While it doesn't necessarily mean that a client is fully set up for Auvik, it's at least an indicator of where the service is installed and running which could be useful.

Also with the new network probe, the mitigation to change the TFTP port to 0 does not work. You can try updating that line in the script to use a different port for TFTP, but I'm not positive it will work. I think @mnpuckett had done some work on this to deal with the new network probe a bit more gracefully, but I seem to have lost it in my Slack history (duh). If you have those modifications post them here again and I will get them into the original script here so it's nice and finished.

Edited by SteveIT

Attached is my script as we had a couple of issues.  

1) We don't use the plugin.  We found it slow to load when it was in place and also we don't utilize the 'Multi-Client' feature of Auvik, which is really needed to use plugin.

-- I created 'parameters' of auvik_name, auvik_user, and auvik_pass to be input manually when you run the install script against a server. 

2) Issues with the new probe and port 69 (TFTP).  I found out there is a Known Issue with the new probe and not truely disabling the TFTP service (thanks to MSPG slack).

-- The old probe was being overcome via SQL query, so I modified it to include the new probe table, to find any probe that has a possibility of using port 69.   If a probe was found to be using port 69 on the machine I was trying to install the collector on, I updated the ports to use 65000 so there would be no conflict with the collector.  After the install of the collector, I set the ports to 0 for old probes and NULL for new probes. 

Only other change with my script is that I made it an Isolated Script so other software installs and scripts don't run at the same time as this.

Thank you for the ROLE!! Super helpful!

FUSE - Install Auvik Service.xml