corpsemourn

New Agent Installations Take Hours to Appear in Control Center for Non-Admins

We've been battling with this for close to three years. We're on Automate v12.0.361 (Patch 6), but we've been experiencing it to some degree ever since upgrading to LabTech 11 in early-2016. Sometimes it's worse than others, which is why I'm more inclined to believe it's a bug. However, our LabTech Account Manager insists it's working as intended, and will only get resolved with a Feature Request reaching 250+ votes.

The Issue: When my techs need to prepare a new computer/laptop for deployment, the first step is to install an Automate agent on it. The next step is to utilize that agent by deploying a large number of scripts (Ninite, patching, AV installation, backup software installation, etc.). However, after the agent is installed, my Helpdesk techs don't see it in their Control Center for upwards of one hour. We've even seen it take much longer. Here's the catch: Super Admins can see it within two minutes. But, I obviously can't give my Helpdesk staff Super Admin rights. There is allegedly a workaround (Commands > Update Config), but it hasn't worked once. I've opened upwards of five long, drawn-out tickets with Automate support over the last year or two, but the answer is always the same. It's working as intended. My account manager has repeatedly told me that there's nothing he can do.

I find that nearly impossible to believe. The mechanism DOES exist, otherwise, Super Admins wouldn't be able to see the new agents immediately. Also, no other Automate partners are reporting this issue, and it never used to be an issue in earlier versions. My Helpdesk staff are the ones doing the legwork, such as deploying new endpoints. It's very inefficient for everyone when a Helpdesk tech needs to turn around and tap on the shoulder of my senior technicians, asking to deploy vital scripts to an endpoint they just installed, because they can't see it yet. If anyone needs to see new endpoints ASAP, it's my Helpdesk techs.

A.) Does anyone else have this problem? Is it truly working as intended, or am I being deceived by my Automate account manager?

B.) If it is working as intended, are there any workarounds that are confirmed to work?

Thanks VERY MUCH!
Mark

It's a caching issue. The engineers just need to do the following in the top right hand corner of the Automate 12 Window. This should allow them to see any machine that has been added to the system recently:

image.png.1c986fe508dc92099049dda9307c9a33.png

I agree with Gavin, it is most likely caching.

You can verify this by getting the helpdesk to log into the new automate web page (http://your-ltserver.domain.com/automate/). If they can see the nodes there, then they are visible to the account and its something specific to CC. If its specific to CC, try installing CC on a new machine as a test and log in as the helpdesk. If they see the node, then its caching.

I don't really have anything helpful to add, but starting a few updates back (maybe 3 updates) I now have to close and reopen the control center to see new agents.

For what little it's worth: We've tried the Reload Cache thing, and it only works sometimes. We also have the techs close out and re-launch Control Center, which also only works sometimes. We've pestered our migration consultant, who hasn't yet come back with anything useful.

It's... rather annoying, especially coming from the "the installer always Just Works and the agent is useful right away" land of Kaseya. Sigh.

7 hours ago, KKerezman said:

For what little it's worth: We've tried the Reload Cache thing, and it only works sometimes. We also have the techs close out and re-launch Control Center, which also only works sometimes. We've pestered our migration consultant, who hasn't yet come back with anything useful.

When you assign a group to the users, what group are you assigning? (All Agents? Something else?)
Under the Location "Deployment and Defaults" tab, what group do you assign new agents into? (All Agents? Something else?)

• If you don't have the agent assigned into a group initially, it will be up to half an hour before the searches and groups are rebuilt and it joins any groups.
  • If users don't have super admin level "see all agents" permissions, they can only see agents that are in a group they have access to.
  • If the users are assigned to a group that is based on service plans, etc. then until the agent onboarding script is run the agent may not be added to the group(s) (depending on your specific implementation). The onboarding script can take 1 or more hours to be triggered, plus it would still be up to 30 minutes for any particular agent to join any particular group once it meets the criteria for joining (onboarding completed for example).
  • If you have a problem with searches/group building, those delays could be even greater.

Darren,

Sorry about the delay, I apparently didn't set myself to get notified on replies.

Good questions! The users in question are assigned to All Clients. The Location's "Deployment and Defaults" has been left Not Selected. (Our migration consultant stressed making sure there's a Login for Admin Access selected and that the Default template is chosen, but nothing about the Default Group For New Agents option. If we're missing a best-practice there, I'm all ears.)

Since we're hosted I can't really check the server to see if it's having issues building the searches/groups. But our techs are definitely set to All Clients, which one would think would give them what they need. I might try enabling Show All under Computers in the User Class Manager, though I feel like that might bite me in the backside if we need to carve out a client out from their visibility later on.

Thanks for the info!

2 hours ago, KKerezman said:

The users in question are assigned to All Clients. The Location's "Deployment and Defaults" default group has been left Not Selected.

I would normally suggest this be set to "All Agents".  Because all agents should be in All Agents anyways, it is always a safe choice.

That won't actually resolve your issue since you are assigning the "All Clients" group (so you must wait for the group refresh). Granting "Show All" computers unnecessarily is definitely a bad plan.  Maybe create a group named "New Agents" that is NOT a master group (agents will be removed automatically by other master groups), and use that group to assign user permissions. Then set a location to default to the "New Agents" group. New computers should show be placed in the group immediately and be accessible, and during the next group rebuild agents will be moved to the correct group and will be visible as normal.

If that works, just start making that the default group when you are configuring all locations.