networkn

Health and Standards

I was interested to see if it's worth implementing this feature in Automate, but it seems to be that CW put in abirtrary and not very useful templates in place here.

I was wondering if others would share what they have in here so we can see the sort of things that might be useful to add for ourselves?

Thanks in advance.

Standards and Health is broken and no word on when/if they will fix it.

All standards and health checks get evaluated globally, so workstations are scored for server standards/checks and vice versa.

Also, in our case, when we did make customizations to the tool, like editing default standards/checks and/or adding our own, those changes were overwritten when the solution was updated from the Solution Center.

On 8/28/2018 at 1:58 PM, toril said:

Standards and Health is broken and no word on when/if they will fix it.

All standards and health checks get evaluated globally, so workstations are scored for server standards/checks and vice versa.

Also, in our case, when we did make customizations to the tool, like editing default standards/checks and/or adding our own, those changes were overwritten when the solution was updated from the Solution Center.

That's interesting, my overall scores for workstations and servers are different so I find that hard to believe. I did have to do quite a bit of configuring for it though because we got bright gauge a few months ago and we show the overall server health on it and the overall workstation health...needless to say the default standards were not up to date standards at ALL.

Though I suppose it could be broken but it is working for what I need it for :)

On 8/29/2018 at 4:56 PM, dlong93 said:

That's interesting, my overall scores for workstations and servers are different so I find that hard to believe. I did have to do quite a bit of configuring for it though because we got bright gauge a few months ago and we show the overall server health on it and the overall workstation health...needless to say the default standards were not up to date standards at ALL.

Though I suppose it could be broken but it is working for what I need it for :)

Just sharing my experience. I've had several support tickets about it with CWA support (one still open) and discussions with our sales rep. The last tech that worked the issue had an unofficial fix that addressed part of the problem I described (it was a query that would remove the mismatched standards), but not all of it, so he wasn't able to get our system fixed. He took lots of screenshots and notes, but that was 7/12/18. I haven't seen any progress yet, even after asking the sales rep to check on it for us . Just the occasional automated email saying someone will contact me soon.

I'm not saying that all agents, workstations and servers alike, get the same score. I'm saying they are given scores/checks they shouldn't. If you look at the results of the Standards & Health checks for any agent, and if you have the same problem I do, then you will see that under standards both the workstation and server standards are being evaluated. Since those standards are also tied to health check scores, all agents have a score for both the "Workstation Standard" and the "Server Standard". 

On 8/30/2018 at 9:18 PM, networkn said:

@dlong93 Would you be willing to share your updated standards/thresholds etc?

I would but I don't think there's an easy way to do that for you :(

22 hours ago, toril said:

Just sharing my experience. I've had several support tickets about it with CWA support (one still open) and discussions with our sales rep. The last tech that worked the issue had an unofficial fix that addressed part of the problem I described (it was a query that would remove the mismatched standards), but not all of it, so he wasn't able to get our system fixed. He took lots of screenshots and notes, but that was 7/12/18. I haven't seen any progress yet, even after asking the sales rep to check on it for us . Just the occasional automated email saying someone will contact me soon.

I'm not saying that all agents, workstations and servers alike, get the same score. I'm saying they are given scores/checks they shouldn't. If you look at the results of the Standards & Health checks for any agent, and if you have the same problem I do, then you will see that under standards both the workstation and server standards are being evaluated. Since those standards are also tied to health check scores, all agents have a score for both the "Workstation Standard" and the "Server Standard". 

Have you went in and checked that the Standard Criteria is only for non server OS's and of course the opposite for the server standards (only Server OS's) or is that not having any effect on the scores?

Edited by dlong93

We don't use the "Standards" portion of it, but I do use the "Health" portion. The health portion from our experience does properly split workstations/servers. Here's a snapshot from an old server from one of our clients:

image.thumb.png.25456ebf44311fc88fcf21d684f55fda.png

Here is how we've set up the Health Check portion:

image.thumb.png.59670108460664c2105cf7bdc16fa409.png

We use BrightGauge to send our Executive Summary reports and it pulls the data from here to display health scores for all machines. I'm not sure if we have it perfect yet, but we're certainly using it and we do find it helpful.

Hope that helps!

Adrian VanderLaan

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:34 PM, avdlaan said:

[...] The health portion from our experience does properly split workstations/servers. Here's a snapshot from an old server from one of our clients:

[sic]

Here is how we've set up the Health Check portion:

image.thumb.png.59670108460664c2105cf7bdc16fa409.png

Hi Adrian, thanks for posting the screenshots and sorry to respond to a somewhat older postm but we have a new Automate install (on prem), and the same issue as the OP.

Our screenshots would look similar and the last two lines show both "Workstation Standard" and "Server Standard" is evaluated.

In Automate "Health Reports" both workstation and server "standards are evaluated" and on top of that in the reports, things (literally) don't add up:

232651987_20181031-AutomateStds-Stability-eval.png.9abdd10bafaf0a4cc9830381af51dcb7.png

The total of the checks is 112, but I only get to 70 if I disregard the first two checks (CPU, Mem). That can't be right...

None of the Stability Checks tables in the reports check out, sometimes it looks like it skips lines, sometimes I don't know where it gets the numbers from as I can't even make up the total :-(

I will also open a case with CW, but I do agree with posters that this is broken, at least out of the box.

Best regards,

George

Hi George,

Apparently I'm getting you back with delayed replies! 😁

One big difference I see is that I actually wasn't looking at the reports as I don't use them. I was looking at the data presented in the plug overview. This data all added up for me. One clarification, while it may appear that both workstation and server standards are tracked, it's not docking you points if the standard doesn't apply. If you go to a workstation and hover over the "Server standards" line, you should see something similar to the following:

image.png.083def209eb9fc75e39132f8c116f77c.png

As you can see, these server standards aren't evaluated because it isn't a server and therefore they don't apply. So you need to think of this in the opposite regard. If it IS a server, and one of these standards doesn't match, then you will get docked points. These standards work on a deduction system, you get full points unless something is wrong. For workstations since none of the server standards apply, you will always get full points on the server standard. CW Automate chose to take away points for issues and so if none are taken away you get full points.

I'm not sure if you spent time with tech support or not on this as you indicated, but there seems to be something wrong with your report from what I can see. I just ran one from our system and it seems to add up properly.

I'm sure you probably have resolved this already, but I thought it might still benefit others to understand this.

Regards,
Adrian

Edited by avdlaan

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for the reply, explaining the way Automate computes the scores.
We did open a case and the report-error was fixed, but the next update it was (and is) back.

My issue is not (so much) with how systems are scored, but simply getting numbers to add up.

In my previous example table, the Total score "xx / yy" is not the sum of the xx-es (but the yy's are summed correctly).

Today's random table is a little shorter :

image.png.6fbf0de4191026d95407a893a82c7ec9.png

Maybe the 1 point difference is fairly insignificant here, but my previous example the xx's should have summed up to 86 instead of 70 (out of 112 points).

Point being: if you total scores, the sums should add up. And we shouldn't have to keep fixing standard reports...

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

George

Hi George,

3 minutes ago, MaillardReaction said:

We did open a case and the report-error was fixed, but the next update it was (and is) back.

Which report was this? Perhaps I happened to pick a different report when I tested it. Let me know which report you run that gives you incorrect totals and I'll test it in our system to see what results I get.

Adrian