Sign in to follow this  
pdxadmin

Looking for Automate scripter

I'm looking to hire someone to create an Automate script to help with offline servermonitoring and alerting. We receive too many alerts from the offline server monitor when either a site goes down because of an ISP problem, or a hypervisor goes down.

I'd like a script that runs when the LT Offline server monitor is triggered that (1) checks to see if the site is down and (2) checks to see if the server is a VM on a hypervisor that is down.

If you are willing to be a gun-for-hire and write a script for us that will help reduce the number of alerts we receive, please contact me directly.

Jon Bass
Bass Information Technology

Edited by pdxadmin

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. 

So I'm clear, you want a script that checks to a target server that has alerted as being offline.  The goal is to determine if the alert is because the machine is truly offline and if it is, determine if the server is a VM and on what hypervisor it exists on.

You don't need a script. You can adjust your monitor to do that. Open the Lt-Offline monitor and add into the additional condition of the monitor to exclude the VM host and check if any computer is online in the entire site.

On 11/27/2018 at 7:48 AM, vjackson714 said:

So I'm clear, you want a script that checks to a target server that has alerted as being offline.  The goal is to determine if the alert is because the machine is truly offline and if it is, determine if the server is a VM and on what hypervisor it exists on.

Yes, I'd like to add a script or other logic to the LT-Offline Server monitor so I don't get alerts for every VM on a hypervisor when the hypervisor goes offline.

If a single VM goes down I want to receive an alert that that it is offline (this is working now).

But if a hypervisor goes down I only want to receive ONE alert that the hypervisor is offline. Right now if a hypervisor goes offline I get alerts from every VM on that hypervisor. 

@pdxadmin Without looking at the script; it appears though you could just add a conditional IF statement at the beginning to first check if the VM host server is online and accessible and if not generate an alert the host is down. Then if the host status condition is met (ergo it's online), then proceed with performing the guest VM checks and alert which are offline.

If you'd like I'd be happy to look at the script and insert said logic. Out of curiousity what platform is your hypervisor?

On 1/4/2019 at 6:43 AM, Alejandro Esmael said:

@pdxadmin Without looking at the script; it appears though you could just add a conditional IF statement at the beginning to first check if the VM host server is online and accessible and if not generate an alert the host is down. Then if the host status condition is met (ergo it's online), then proceed with performing the guest VM checks and alert which are offline.

If you'd like I'd be happy to look at the script and insert said logic. Out of curiousity what platform is your hypervisor?

Yes, that is the logic -- but I don't know how to write a script that checks if the host is a VM and if so then queries for the name of the parent hypervisor. I know that Automate has this information, but I don't know how to get to it.

If host is a VM and parent hypervisor is online, then send alert.

If host = VM and parent hypervisor is not online, then don't send alert.

We use Hyper-V