Sign in to follow this  
LoneWolf

Is there a way to find out when a system comes out of retirement?

Like most of you, we have moments when we retire a system because it is removed from a network without our knowledge.  In these cases, like most of you, we move it to a group where it is supposed to automatically offboard (we have scripts and such to do these things) if it comes back online.  However, if we do not receive communication within a set period of time, we retire the system manually.

My issue is this:  Every now and again, a system that is retired gets given to a family member or someone pulls said system from the refuse pile somewhere and turns it on again.  In this case, the system of course re-onboards itself into Automate and out of the retired systems.

Does anyone have a monitor or something set up that allows them to be notified when this action happens?  I have onboarding scripts that notify us when a new system is set up, but I don't know if there's any way to monitor this change on client systems.  If so, I'd like to set things up so one of our distribution groups will get an e-mail so we'll be aware of it.

I've never looked at this so I don't know what indications there are when a computer is un-retired automatically.  I would look in the Audit log and other tables (h_computers?) to see if any entries are recorded when it happens.

We have a monitor for agent install date so we get alerted in old computers coming back and new computers being installed.