Axle

High Availability Configuration

Hi,

I am currently looking for a way to make our Labtech instance more robust and ensure up-time as we are now using it on a 24/7/365 basis.

I am currently looking to build out a new environment where the Labtech service is split out over 2-3 servers to try an improve the performance but it doesn't really help with up-time as if I need to patch one of them it will still take everything down. 

Does anyone have a current setup that has any redundancy built into it? 

Ideally I would like to have the Database in a clustered environment and then 2 front end servers (App/IIS) behind a load balancer. 
I have been in contact with Support and our account manager only to be told that there is no support for this and haven't had much luck finding any recent posts here or any other site for people running a High Availability setup.

Fortunately I have access to a test environment so if you don't have anything currently setup but have some good ideas to do this let me know and I will add it to the list of things I want to try. 

Cheers,
Axle

Edited by Axle
Spelling

This configuration is absolutely not officially supported, and if you ever plan on raising a ticket with CWSupport ever again, do not do this.

The out of box configuration has zero redundancy. No load balancing, no replication, nothing really that isn't a single point of failure.

Split server config is relatively new to the LT platform and allows for, at most, a three-way split between database, IIS, and automation server. The official docs required to do this are guarded closer than the recipe for Coca-Cola, or perhaps Kentucky Fried Chicken's secret blend of herbs and spices.

If you have some advanced DBA knowledge, you may be able to set up binlogging / master-slave replication, but don't even try to enter a support ticket if you do.

Final notes - probably would be better using some type of HA virtualization setup that would otherwise be transparent to LT. vMotion comes to mind.

Good luck!

How many agents are you looking to handle @Axle? If you aren't above 3k, I wouldn't even suggest considering a split. Splitting MySQL to it's own host is easy enough, but I think 1 host can handle up to 5 or 6k agents if given the right hardware/configuration.  Otherwise, use Virtualization techniques as suggest to make HA possible.

@MetaMSP Yep I am already having that talk with our account manager and trying (unsuccessfully so far) to spin it as a positive for them. I want to have Automate, Manage and Control all behind a load balancer. 
I have done plenty of Master/Slave on unix but not windows, but unix is another thing that is in no way supported unfortunately. 
vMotion is already configured but it doesn't help for patching downtime. 

@DarrenWhite99 we are just off 10,000 currently. 8 CPU's, 36GB RAM, HDD are all on enterprise grade SSD storage with unlimited IOPs. 

I feel relatively confident (make that absolutely) that you can setup  multiple app/IIS hosts. You can only setup one LTAgent I believe, and only one DB host for sure.