Technigogo

Should we Update to version 2019 ??

I can't find any information on this question and I made the painful mistake of being an early adopter back when LabTech went from ugly but powerful and useful utilitarian Windows application to the fluffy and not very useful browser type we have now. I still miss the old one. 

We are currently on version 12 with the latest patch. Should we now upgrade to version 2019? Are we going to regret it?

I did read that. I understand it to refer to updating the patches for the respective versions you are on. It does not, as far as I can tell, speak to the question I asked, "Should I upgrade from version 12 to version 2019?"

I mean... did you really read it?

It basically says there that the version of Automate you are on will stop working on the 9th of March and all agents will break.

What more motivation do you need?

If he's truly on the latest build of patch 12, then he's fine. There was a hotfix released to amend the issue.

@Technigogo Automate 12 and Automate 2019 are the same exact product, just different patches. There wasn't a major release, they just updated the patch naming scheme to match the rest of the CW suite. 2019.2 is essentially Automate 12 patch 14.

• Like 1

I have read it.

What I hear you saying in the reply above is that any version other than 19.0.2 will cease to work after March 9th.

What you say in your own post here: https://www.mspgeek.com/topic/4242-automate-patch-upgrade-guide-install-20192-asap/

and what ConnectWise says in the bulletin here: http://s694841291.t.en25.com/e/es?s=694841291&e=460044&elqTrackId=caa85c97cd084119985976ba156f2f21&elq=7980f71011ca422ea8674cf4b3ea9eb7&elqaid=8764&elqat=1

is that you have a choice to remedy this issue. You can either apply the hotfix to v 12.0.12 or upgrade to 19.0.2.

Either I am misunderstanding the message in those bulletins or I am misunderstanding yours. Please explain.

If you're on 12.0.12.497, then you're ok. However, installing the hotfix and installing 2019.2 is the same exact process, so you might as well get on the latest considering it's stable and the most secure for the time being. Security flaws are patched in almost every release, so while holding off for a couple of weeks is a smart approach... you should always be willing to install the latest patch once it's been confirmed that it's stable. Especially considering that CWA12 > CWA2019 isn't a major release, just a name change.

2 minutes ago, bigdog09 said:

If you're on 12.0.12.497, then you're ok. However, installing the hotfix and installing 2019.2 is the same exact process, so you might as well get on the latest considering it's stable and the most secure for the time being. Security flaws are patched in almost every release, so while holding off for a couple of weeks is a smart approach... you should always be willing to install the latest patch once it's been confirmed that it's stable. Especially considering that CWA12 > CWA2019 isn't a major release, just a name change.

bigdog, thanks for the feedback. That's what I am looking for is just other MSPs that have gone from 12 to 2019. Any regrets? Everything work as expected? Anything not working? Any features or functionality now missing like there was in the major change from the old GUI to the fluffy tile version?

Thanks for all replies.

There haven't been any major complaints that I've seen. There are some issues carried over from patch 12 that are still lingering, but nothing new introduced in 2019.2 that we're aware of. The biggest complaint I've seen is a minor aesthetic issue. If your Client/Group list is too long to fit in the view, then there is a visible scroll bar. Functionally it works the same as it always has, but in the past the scroll bar was invisible. When that's the biggest complaint, then it's pretty safe to assume that the patch is fine.

Everything has been working well for us on 2019.2, and performance is noticeably better than some of the v12 patches.

A major functionality improvement is the addition of customer password lists to the new web UI, which means all of our L1 support tasks can be performed via just a web browser and we can stop having to maintain full Control Center environments for every employee.

Regardless of what version you run, I would recommend implementing 2FA for all your accounts if you haven't already.

2FA is very important. There's no such thing as a truly "trusted" network anymore. The perimeter is dead and the zero trust model is what you should be shooting for.

• Like 1