Sign in to follow this  
SOrlando

Patch Manager - Applying Ignored Patches

RE:  Patch Manager and Windows 10 1809 Upgrades

So we have delayed the Windows 10 1809 Upgrades to our client's workstations due to known issues between software in use and the 1809 upgrade.  We did this by setting the 4487044, 4476976 and 4482887 Upgrades to Ignore in the Automate Patch Manager.

However, I want to push the Ignored Upgrades to our local network devices to test 1809 further.

I created a Policy and set 4487044, 4476976 and 4482887 as By Title approvals and applied that policy to a group containing all Windows 10 devices on our local network.  I then created a MS Update Policy to run updates nightly against that group.  I put the patching group at the bottom of the list so it takes priority and review of the patching group shows the policy is being applied.

It has been more than a week and not a single device has updated.

I am pretty sure I may be doing something wrong.  Any suggestions or guidance?

UMS1.jpg

UMS2.jpg

I'm assuming my problem is I set those Upgrades to Ignore which takes priority over a Policy.

So how can I apply Ignored patches without setting them to Approved?

From what I was able to figure out, those "Feature Upgrades" aren't actually feature upgrades, but LCU (Latest Cumulative Updates) to those bi-annual versions. In other words, they are just quality patches.

The bi-annual feature upgrades are not part of the patch manager functionality, you can't fully automate those, so you can either let your users upgrade by themselves (its not clear if / when they will get prompted if you disable WUA) or you can use the Connectwise-Provided script to plan those upgrades yourself. (See Automate documentation, search for Windows 10 Supportability statement).

Since those systems become end of life after just 1.5 years, it feels like that information should be made very explicit in the patch manager documentation and that the Windows 10 upgrade processes and options should be more explicit - but it seems like everyone is playing catch up to MS.