HI Folks,

I am a little confused - Automate comes with Ignite and tons of monitors and all that stuff but it comes with all the Managed 8 x 5 / 24 / 7 bits too

So you start working with Automate consultancy and they say no don't use that create your own because we update Ignite all the time.....

So at this point I am starting to scratch my head surely tweaking their Ignite is the way to go and just makes my life a lot easier than having to rebuild all of Ignite and just ignoring what they did.

Anybody any thoughts?

Michael

it's basically the main rule of thumb with Automate. Any built-in monitors that you want to tweak should be copied and you make your adjustments to the copy. That way if the monitor/script or whatever gets updated from the solution center, it won't be overwritten (the dreaded local changes). You can keep using the 24x7 groups and such for your deployments and turn off/on whatever you like.

Editing originals monitors/scripts/etc VS. Making copies that are then edited

There seems to me to be a downside to both ways, but one can be more problematic than the other. As Matthew1986 mentioned, customized originals that are overwritten during an update lose their local changes, and that could "break" your processes. Depending on what your tweaks do, that could be very bad. You'd have to re-customize changed objects as soon as possible every time you update a solution.

On the other hand if you customize copies of the monitors/scripts and then CW updates the originals, your working copy will still function (in most cases). You might be missing out on new features or streamlined solutions, but things should still work as you designed. You'll just have to manually review the changes to the originals to see if you want them in your custom object, which can be done whenever you have time.

I think this is why they say that editing copies is best practice, but if I'm wrong I hope someone will correct me.

I raised this at ITNation with one of the seniors that was there. There isn't a "good" solution right now. As @toril alluded to, there are pros and cons to each option.

We copy everything but this means we effectively don't get updates. This could potentially be very very bad if it's a security issue. Apparently, the solution is to manually check everything each update, but that doesn't seem overly practical in my opinion. I do wonder how the other RMM solutions handle this?

We started with Ignite but over the past 5 years have migrated to an a la cart system (which is configured as an Ignite service plan) by which we control monitor assignments, managed services, ticket generation and other automation features according to group membership determined by custom location and computer EDFs. Any scripts or monitors that might be updated by the Solution Center are copied (edited if necessary) and mapped in the system over the parent ignite scripts. We only assign monitors through our own groups and  this requires cleanup every time a new plugin comes in or a plugin us updated. Some simple MySQL queries make this easy to check.

I would not want to write all the monitors that come with ignite from scratch!