Joe Lusk

Script to remove Symantec Cloud

Has anyone had any luck with this since the updates to Cloud Protection Agent. I had a script that ran SEPPrep.exe with the RemoveSymantec=Y option, but that no longer seems to work.  None of the msexec methods or wmi methods seem to work either.  Any ideas?

You are correct, that is the version and we have found the same things.  Looks like manual is the only way by design.

I've hacked one together that works fairly well (albeit not an officially supported uninstall method from Symantec).  We use this as a last resort when the official ways to remove does not work...  This uses CEDAR from Symantec to clean the agent from the system.  I do some other stuff such as pre-removing the registry values that usually stop Symantec from uninstalling when it complains about pending actions.  I do this via an embeded batch file called from the LabTech Script:

:: 04/02/2019
:: Clears PendingFileRenameOperations Registry Key to allow Symantec AntiVirus to Uninstall

:: Delete Key
REG Delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\currentcontrolset\control\session manager" /v PendingFileRenameOperations /f 2> nul

Here's the two important parts of the script (NOTE: The -silent is case sensitive and undocumented).

image.png.c3c4ce462cfbef6da0e263ed8944b9bc.png

image.png.a2934a39cf3518909254d38aa15e5057.png

Let me know if you want the full thing and I will clean it up and export it.

• Like 1

@HickBoy

I would love an export. I managed to get something working using AutoIT, but it is less than perfect and requires a user to be logged on.  This looks much better.  Thanks in advance. I am actually most curious about the pre-removal operations. Are you doing more than you identified there?

Edited by Joe Lusk