Duong

ConnectWise Automate Script - Update Dell SupportAssist

I found that Duong's script worked great when it was updating Dell SupportAssist 3.x, but when the computers had Dell SupportAssist 1.x or 2.x installed it would simply install the new version side by side.

I updated it to include some uninstallation logic - first running through all the known uninstallers and then if that fails doing a manual removal of the old software. Then it goes into Duong's installation script to push the new version. This has fixed 99% of the problem computers I had automatically.

Dell - May 2019 - Dell Support Assist Vulnerability - Updated.xml

(Script called "Dell - May 2019 - Dell Support Assist Vulnerability" found in the "Share" folder if you leave it default)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I can fully uninstall Dell support Assist when I run the command in my PC but it does not work as a script.

Am I missing any step?

" Get-CimInstance -Classname Win32_Product | Where-Object Name -Match ‘Dell SupportAssist’ | Invoke-CimMethod -MethodName UnInstall "

Dell.JPG

image.png

On 7/1/2019 at 5:46 AM, Dayrak said:

I can fully uninstall Dell support Assist when I run the command in my PC but it does not work as a script.

Am I missing any step?

" Get-CimInstance -Classname Win32_Product | Where-Object Name -Match ‘Dell SupportAssist’ | Invoke-CimMethod -MethodName UnInstall "

Dell.JPG

image.png

Interested to see if you got this working? I am trying to learn how to create scripts as needed and found that there is a recent issue where Dell Support Assist is persistently prompting users for UAC to allow Dell Support Assist to complete tasks but it is causing a large influx of calls to the desk.

TIA.

It looks to me like the screen cap script step is using Shell to run a PowerShell command which isn't going to work.  Try the PowerShell Command script function.

We used msiexec.exe calling the various GUIDs in our system, e.g.:

start /wait MsiExec.exe /X{0309AC01-330F-494C-B27D-58E297E4674F} /qn REBOOT=REALLYSUPRESS

A search on that software using "related-software installed" with field "Uninstall" will show you the uninstall command line...ensure you use /x (uninstall) not /i (install).  The command will "succeed" even if that program is not installed.

I have read warnings previously about using "wmic product"...I emailed this to my staff a while ago about it:

"The reason any command starting with "wmic product..." can take a long time is because for some silly reason it has Windows Installer run a "consistency check" a.k.a. "reconfiguration" on every installed product.  So that could essentially mean a repair install, is run on any installed product where it thinks it is necessary, even if only one product is queried.  It's been known to re-enable services, for example.

"

Take a look at the application event log when you run a wmic product command and you'll see what it touches.