Sign in to follow this  
magnified

Workstation vs Server Local Admin Passwords

Hey there - we use LT in our environment and have a daily script that runs to push out a local admin account to the endpoint. This local admin password is used across all our locations - and the same password is used for all workstations & servers.

We'd like to make a change such that the workstations vs servers have different local admin passwords. I'm able to modify the deployment script easy enough, but the question I have is around the location passwords.

As our local admin password has changed over the years, when we make a change, we simply add the new latest version of the password to the location password section. Is this correct usage?

Will commands/actions that utilize the location passwords try each of the passwords in the list until one of them works for the command/script? Do we also need to add the new server version of the password to the location list?

Also reading that many organizations are migrating to LAPS for end-password local admin passwords. What does this mean for LT and location passwords?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I've created an EDF for each of the Clients. If the service account password has been applied within the client, it applies a user account with a unique password per that client. If someone forgets to enter a unique password for that client, it uses a default password. 
The credentials are updated daily/weekly/monthly via a maintenance script on each of the computers. So we can change the passwords at anytime, and they are changed at all of the clients within minutes. If the computers were offline, the maintenance script get it at the next interval.