plinley

Monitors, Alerts, and Emails

Hey guys and gals,

We have been using Automate for a couple of years, but haven't really 'dug-in' to learn how to properly setup our monitors, alerts and ticket emails.

We may or may not have changed a bunch of the default settings when we were first implementing Automate... not really sure at this point, but we are just starting to (try to) make use of the ticketing system.
There are tons of monitors that send emails for EVERY SINGLE ticket created and we can't seem to weed out the ones that are emailed to us by clients and the ones that were created from the Agent.

Is there any way to have the monitors create tickets and NOT send emails?  I have looked at the alert templates, monitors, and ticket configurations - and have read a lot on here, and a lot of useless documentation to no avail as to where to even start.

Any help would be appreciated!

I have entered the subjects "NOEMAIL" for all my monitors that I do not wish to receive emails for, and have entered |!NOEMAIL in the ticketing config subject monitor, but still continue to receive emails for these monitors.

Where am I going wrong here?

The problem is that there are a load of places where the monitors can be assigned and each can have its own configuration. The good news is that, unless you have modified the standard setup, most alerts only come from a few places.

I don't have access to my system right now (system upgrade going on) so I'm doing this from memory but what I did with our system was to just pick alerts one by one and search for where they were coming from. Most will be under groups > service plans > servers > 8x5 or 24x7 > monitors tab

Many monitors are enabled under sub branches of these trees.

In each case just change the monitor from raise alert to generate ticket or no action.

As to not getting any response earlier - its august and things are really, really quiet, even in the slack channel.

All enabled monitors are set to "Default - Create Automate Ticket", which only has the Alert Action to "Create Ticket".

However, ALL TICKETS are generating emails... I'm wondering if it is because I have myself selected as the contact... or because of the various scripts.

Should I create a "dummy" contact to see if that quells some of the emails?  I only want emails to get sent for "Client Tickets" and "Requests for Help".

I don't understand why there isn't an easier way to define which tickets get emailed (by ticket category or infobase category, etc.)...?

Thanks

I think you need to track one alert through and figure it out, which should help solve all of them. Is the email coming from a script or from a ticket? Are you syncing tickets to another system (Manage?) or are you purely using the Automate ticketing? Try setting the monitor default template to “Do Nothing” to help determine if it’s using the global settings or if it’s another group alert template that is overriding it? Etc. 

• Like 1

It seems that when my monitors are creating tickets, they are entering my email address in the "requestor email".  What I am seeing in automate documentation says that monitors should leave this field blank... I can't find where they are getting that info.

Did you mention that you had set yourself as the computer/location/client contact? That could be it. Also, check the global properties in the dashboard. Do any of the properties have your email address assigned?

• Like 1

I was set as the location contact... although CW swore everything was done according to the alert templates, I did find in the scripts where they referenced the location contact... changed all those and guess what - emails are gone!

Now I should only get emails for Client Tickets from the tray and emails addressed to my support inbox... my tests work fine, although it looks like 3 emails in the support inbox from earlier this morning did not get tickets created for them.  The subject filter shouldn't have blocked them (!failure notice|Undelivered Mail|message quota|Delivery failure).

Although, I *DO* need it to block read receipts, and creating a duplicate ticket from an email when I create a new ticket in Automate that sends a CC to my support inbox.  RE read receipts, I'm afraid if I only put "|read" in the subject filter, someone will send a support email like "Can't read my emails"... and I doubt I can put "|Read:" as it will probably fuss about the colon.... not at all sure about the second issue, or why it missed the 3 from this morning....?

Thanks for your help!

I got all that straightened out... I only get emails now for tickets that were sent to my support inbox.  I spoke with support about setting up a template for only SOME monitors to send emails and they said that couldn't easily be done... that I needed to subscribe to Manage to do that... but it seems that I could copy the default create script ticket to set a static email and have the monitors that I want emails from - to use that script...??