Matthew Mclaughlin

Script File Copy with a Variable - Windows 10 Build Upgrade

Hi All,

After speaking with ConnectWise, I understand there is a script from the Solution Centre called 'Windows 10 - Install Feature Update' which requires you to deploy the latest build of Windows 10 to your LTShare, but that it's only a supported feature on-prem and cloud partners currently don't have support for this..

https://docs.connectwise.com/ConnectWise_Automate/ConnectWise_Automate_Knowledge_Base_Articles/Scripting%3A_Windows_10_Install_Feature_Update_Script

Note: The Windows 10 Feature Install script can only be used with on premise instances of ConnectWise Automate® because it requires the use of LTShare to transfer the files. This script is not supported for cloud partners at this time.

As a potential workaround, ConnectWise have told me I can individually place the ISO under the LTsvc\packages folder on each machine.

Rather than download 50 x 4GB ISO's for a client, I thought to use the server to then have Automate copy this locally, but I'm struggling.

My plan was to create an EDF whereby we can enter at the location level the path to the ISO and then call this in a variable for the Script copy as Admin but it doesn't seem to unpack the variable path and the script fails.

Has anybody else had any success upgrading from 1803/1809/1903 using Automate?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi @Matthew Mclaughlin

I am very interested to see if or how you manage to get this sorted. I am in the process of looking for a way to achieve the Version upgrades for more than 200 endpoints. 

Interesting I see you are trying to achieve this by using a server location I am trying to use it by using the Cache function in Automate. However we do have some cloud clients who would have the suffer the brunt of having the exe downloaded to each device.

Hi @Aenabs

We've still yet to achieve this, I've tried looking at possibly creating a script using the file download function to an internal server address, but with little success.

I'm thinking next possibly to create an automate script using robocopy going forward to distribute the ISO but haven't had time to test it yet.

Have you had any success?

I thought we had done that with Office 365 Deployement Tool a while back but it turns out we had just put the package on a share and then ran "\\server\ODT\Setup.exe /configure \\server\ODT\configuration.xml" using the Shell function.

I had wanted to learn how to do the location level variables but never got around to it.

Did it work to use the File Copy function without a variable? If you just hardcoded the location in for each client?

On 9/23/2019 at 6:01 PM, Oddyseus1911 said:

I thought we had done that with Office 365 Deployement Tool a while back but it turns out we had just put the package on a share and then ran "\\server\ODT\Setup.exe /configure \\server\ODT\configuration.xml" using the Shell function.

@Oddyseus1911 Unfortunately the file copy didn't work, I tried using the local server as the Automate Cache and the file copy still failed, Still looking for a way to get the ISO distributed to each client PC without buying some software. Also tried using robocopy in CMD via Automate but it didn't work. Would be interested to see how others are getting around this issue

Hi @Matthew Mclaughlin

Apologies for the late reply, I managed to get the script working (Windows 10 - Install Feature Update). I changed the setup of the script to perform all checks before prompting the logged in user. It was the other way around initially, It prompted the users initial and then did drive space checks.

At the moment I have the script pointing to a shared location on the network to download and copy the Windows 10 ISO to the local device and running the install.

I have been in touch with Automate and they advised me the Cache function in Automate does not work and they are currently trying to fix it.

Hello @Aenabs

Out of interest, how did you get the script to copy the ISO to the local machine? Did you use variables so that the script works universally or do you have to modify it one by one?

I can't find a realistic way to get the ISO onto each individual PC