Sign in to follow this  
mikey090tx

Application Usage Report

Hello All-

New to the Forum and to ConnectWise.  I was reviewing some of the report data and was not able to find the information on how to collect a list of the applications that exist on a device with the last ran date included.

We have a need to identify the existence of the application in the environment and figure out if the users actually use it or if it can be removed. 

If anyone has come across this type of report configuration I would certainly be interested to know how this can be achieved.  Thanks all

Windows doesn't record this information under a standard configuration and since Automate largely only reports on what Windows records there isn't anything to report on.

I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to write an event handler to catch application launch events and record them into a file which you then uploaded to Automate and imported into a custom table. The upload and import would be a few minutes work. 

Imurphy, thanks for the reply.  This suggestion would almost be similar to creating a process monitor and collect data based on that and tie it back to an EDF or other.  Granted that this would be skewed if the application/program has an auto start configuration.  With a different RMM tool, someone suggested using a freeware tool that would run on the machines, collect the application run data and it would export to a txt file and then be parsed for the specific application you were looking for.  I don't recall what that freeware app was but another option that has been presented is to search the reg for

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\{guid}\Usage

which should detail a value under the usage if the application has been used.. Taking into consideration that the guid will have to exact with every query as some versions of the same app will differ...

Other RMM tools had this integrated for reporting purposes which certainly is helpful in these cases.