nocDan

Long names or FQDN

Automate uses the netbios name of a computer it seems. Is it possible to use the full name if longer than 15 characters or even the FQDN?

The good news: in Extra Data Fields under Default there is a FriendlyName field that shows in the list of computers.

bad news: that doesn't get used in monitors and the like.

This topic just came up in our company. Windows will let you use names over 15 characters, but as was observed the netbios name is what is reported in Automate. But it’s not just Automate that relies on the netbios name. AD uses it also. So for now, sticking with names 15 characters or under is what we are doing and is what I recommend. The Friendly Name is a good way to adjust how you see the name. It isn’t available universally in Automate, but where it’s not the computerid is generally easily available. 

You can include HTML markup in an alert message or email and make the computer name a clickable link like:

<a href="labtech:open?computerid=%computerid%">%computername%</a>

See this post for more information:

Cheers for the info,

The problem I have is down to the asset sync with Manage. It means if the computer name is longer that 15 characters (we only have a few that are) the Configuration in Manage gets it's name shortened. We also have other system that raise tickets in Manage but are unable to find the configuration due to the mismatch. Scratching my head know coming up with a neat solution that doesn't involved lots of admin overhead. Like using the friendly name in Manage somehow.