PNSI-Justin

Using Automate to Run Network Detective Scans

Hello!

I am looking for some advice on scripting a Rapidfire Network Detective domain, and local PC scans. 

We have several customers we utilize Network Detective on, and would like to create one script to run at all locations. I could use some help with the logic of this, and how it may work. This is what I have so far.

1. Run Network Detective application first time and save the settings in a common location (C:\Rapidfire)
  2. Run the saved settings in a Automate script that executes a batch as an admin. (This seems to be working)
  3. Run the local data collector on workstations in the domain (should I do this via batch as well, could I call this in the original script?)
  4. Pull the results file, and upload them to the cloud or a server off site.

Any help you could provide with this would be great! Also if you have any good resources on creating scripts, I'd love to see them. 

Edited by PNSI-Justin

We are currently transitioning from Kaseya to Connectwise Automate.....  We have the process in Kaseya and will be duplicating it in the next month in Automate but can give you an idea on our current process for local PC's:

Create a local directory (planning on using C:\Windows\LTSvc\RapidFire)

Download the data collector to that location from https://s3.amazonaws.com/networkdetective/download/NetworkDetectiveComputerDataCollector.exe

Unzip the contents to the C:\Windows\LTSvc\RapidFire\NDCDC directory

Execute shell command C:\Windows\LTSvc\RapidFire\NDCDC\nddc -local -silent -outbase %computername% -outdir

Execute shell command C:\Windows\LTSvc\RapidFire\NDCDC\sddc -common -sdfbase %computername% -outdir

Check for file NDCDC\%computername%.cdf and move to  RapidFire root directory (C:\Windows\LTSvc\RapidFire)

--Also check here as Rapidfire has change the default file creation location in the past: NDCDC\cdf\%computername%.cdf

Check for file NDCDC\%computername%.sdf and move to  RapidFire root directory (C:\Windows\LTSvc\RapidFire)

Run a cleanup step to remove the downloaded exe and directories under the root

*At this point, schedule or call the collector (which will require a valid Connector ID)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/networkdetective/download/NetworkDetectiveConnector.zip

--

As for running on the domain (we do not have that automated yet) just leave the files instead of running a cleanup on a DC and run the program manually.  If someone has a recommendation for automating this I would be interested. A quick guess below:

C:\Windows\LTSvc\RapidFire\NDCDC\NDDC\nddc -mbsa -updates -net -nonpingable -level2 -sql -ad -internet -speedchecks -eventlogs -dhcp -silent -outbase %computername% -outdir

Check for file NDCDC\%computername%.ndf and move to  RapidFire root directory (C:\Windows\LTSvc\RapidFire)

Also grab the ndfRun.log and status-ndc.log

my 2 cents - hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

We've transitioned to the reporter server and data collectors, but when were still using the stand-alone application I managed to get it to a fairly-automated point. I handled the configuration entirely via automate. This is how I had it set up:

An extradata field at the location level to define the IP range for the network scan. 

Two scripts. One for the network / AD scan, and one for local data collection. (I never used the push option from the main data collector. I found the individual local security scans to be more reliable.)

I'd run the network / ad script against the domain controller and then run the local security scans against the workstations and the remaining servers.

The script would collect the results and upload them to the automate server, then move them to a specific share and email the tech team with a notification of the completed scan and links to the resulting files. 

Those just need to be imported into the application as a single survey and then compiled into reports.

I'll scrub the scripts and upload them later for you. I remember getting everything just right was a bit tricky.