ErinC

Deploying Windows 10 feature updates

Hello all,

We have a cloud hosted Automate server and we've found it really isn't straight forward to deploy the latest 1903 feature update to client PCs.
I'd really like to hear from those of you that also use a cloud hosted Automate server - how do you all deal with these feature updates .. build 1903 for example.

Incidentally I also read yesterday that Microsoft are soon releasing the 1909 update which will actually be a Cumulative Update instead of a Feature Update.  I'm thinking (hoping) this may resolve the problem? 

I am also aware there is a solution centre update available to help with these feature updates, but it appears it's only aimed at on-prem solutions. 
I have had a bash at modifying (read:bodging) it to work with our cloud hosted setup, but alas with little success.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Like 1

Your mileage may almost certainly vary but for the sake of hopefully pointing you in a useful direction, I'll describe our current system.

We imported and updated our old kludgey way of doing it from Kaseya (we migrated after the end of last calendar year). The script goes a bit like this:

1. Check for and deploy 7-Zip if needed. (The standalone executable can't do ISOs.)
  2. Download the ISO. (We're storing it at... ugh... SharePoint at the moment. Hey, it works.)
  3. Create working folder and extract ISO into folder.
  4. Make sure the setup.exe is actually present and bail with a detailed email to the tech if it isn't, since clearly something went horribly awry with the preceding steps.
  5. Pop up a "please don't turn off your system, you asked for this" message.
  6. Run 'path\to\setup.exe /auto upgrade /ShowOOBE none /quiet'

And yes, there's a cleanup script to be run afterward. If the tech has a ticket to be doing this at all, they should be tidying up as part of that ticket.

As to how we deal with feature updates to Win10 logistically, it's a matter of looking through the search we built looking for likely candidates, then coordinating time with the clients for access to the relevant machines. (The search is centered on an EDF which we populate with the build number.) It may not be fully automated but so far it's been working moderately well.

KKerezman, thank you for your input.  We migrated from Kaseya too, a couple of years back.  Been using Automate since it was LabTech 9.x I think..

I had considered a similar deployment scenario too.

We currently upgrade machines in our workshop via a NAS share with the following, which does a good job;

Setup.exe /auto upgrade /quiet /migratedrivers all /dynamicupdate disable /showoobe none /Compat IgnoreWarning

I like the idea of a custom EDF to track and target by.  I will look at that, thanks.

Anyone know if the move to a cumulative update for 1909 changes anything with regards to Automate Patch Manager?

You're welcome!

Our EDF is populated by a script which runs this Powershell command:

(Get-ItemProperty -Path ‘HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion’).CurrentBuild

Then passes the results through a series of IF checks along the lines of "If @powershellresult@ NOT = 10240 THEN Jump To :Not1507, otherwise set EDF to 1507 and exit" and so forth. We just tack a new IF check on twice per year. The script gets run weekly against online Win10 endpoints to keep the EDF updated. This lets us do groupings and reports and so on.