Sign in to follow this  
Kirk

Database issues

Lately we have had the LabMySQL crash everywhere from 3 days to 1 week it has occurred 3 times or so since we moved from Azure. What are possible reasons for this? We currently run on Windows Server 2016 on top of VmWare. I am suspecting maybe the SAN?  Could it be UAC? Scratching my head and wondering what could be the cause? Should I move it back to Azure where I had 0 issues?

Simpy put, Mysql is an abysmally unstable product. It requires you to manually configure a load of memory management settings which, if any are too low, it simply crashes. The error messages are rarely in any way linkable to the resource shortage and there is rarely/never any warning that a given resource is running low. There are a thousand tuning guides out there - many say you should never have value X below/above a multiple of value Y - but they often conflict with each other.

We had a similar problem a couple of years back. Mysql would just crash again and again. Support got involved after I gave up. They evenually wiped everything, mysql, labtech, the lot and reinstalled everything from scratch and then reestimated the my.ini settings. It still crashed again but after another tweek its been stable ever since. 

The best way is to get on the slack channel, find someone with a similarly sized installation and get a copy of their my.ini

Ian