kspooner

Contact Import Plugin

I hope everyone is off to a well, and productive, week.  Michael Priest has completed the initial release of the plugin for you to now utilize.  The overall concept is simple and the process is similar to what we described on the podcast.   The only requirement is a CSV file import.  This file is REQUIRED to be used and it must be in the format we have provided.  If you alter the CSV file, there will be no assistance to troubleshoot issues.  There are some optional columns that may be removed which we will highlight. 

The installation process is smooth, simply visit http://www.michaelpriest.com.au/index.php/labtech-solutions/labtech-plugins/labtech-plugin-installer.html to download Michael's installer and it will be listed in the options available.  This will install all the prereq's required and you can then begin to import.  I've attached the full CSV file below.

1.0 will not  have Darren's special lockout code.   That will be coming in a future update!  The Phone/Address/City/State/Zip are not required fields just make sure to remove the columns.

I would like to remind anyone who uses this, that is is as-is.  We will attempt to help resolve issues and fix bugs as we have the available time.

demo.csv

This looks great.

A question: Does this only associate contacts and computers for the remote access feature? Or does this also update the 'primary contact' for individual computers?
We would LOVE to mass-update the primary contact associated with each machine in our CWA.

21 hours ago, tlphipps said:

This looks great.

A question: Does this only associate contacts and computers for the remote access feature? Or does this also update the 'primary contact' for individual computers?
We would LOVE to mass-update the primary contact associated with each machine in our CWA.

Currently when the contact is updated or created the Primary Contact is not updated at all as it's linked to the computer record and none of that is being changed so the computers are only for remote access, it could be possible to potentially find a way to flag one to be the primary (in the event that a user has access to multiple devices) a couple of thoughts just whilst responding

• The First record in the computers column if multiple for example if the Computers field was "Computer1:Computer2:Computer3" then contact would be assigned as the primary contact for Computer1 but not Computer2 or Computer3.
  • Add an additional column for "Primary Computer" to make this an optional feature of the Import / Update process.

Let me know thoughts.

Thinking ahead for future flexibility I’d probably lean toward option 2. Of course that probably adds complexity since you’d have to handle potential blanks in the ‘remote access computers’ column. 
Then the really tough question: what happens if you run an import for contacts that already exist in cwa?

1 hour ago, tlphipps said:

Thinking ahead for future flexibility I’d probably lean toward option 2. Of course that probably adds complexity since you’d have to handle potential blanks in the ‘remote access computers’ column. 
Then the really tough question: what happens if you run an import for contacts that already exist in cwa?

As it stands, the plugin will match the Email Address against the Client and in the case there is a contact that already exists the contact record will be updated and any additional computers for remote access will be added, none of the existing ones would be removed and in addition the Computers column for remote access can be left blank today and the contact record will just be created or updated.