nocDan

Use FQDN rather than just hostname for computers

Is it possible to get Automate to use the FQDN of a computer if it's domain joined and not just the hostname?

Hi @nocDan

Can you be more specific about what you're talking about? Where you're talking about? Automate interface itself has a HOSTNAME and a DOMAIN NAME that will display the FQDN when the machine is domain joined. (For Domain controllers it'll be DC:<domain name>). Workgroups will be just a single Workgroup name as opposed to an FQDN.

I’d like to get the name of the workstation or server to display the FQDN of that machine. Specifically so that when computers are sync’d to Manage tue FQDN of a machine is used. We have other system that use the FQDN and it also eliminates the possibility of duplicate names which makes creating tickets and attaching configuration less prone to error.

for example:

serverA on domain domain.com would display as servera.domain.com. 

workstation PC01 on WORKGROUP would display as PC01.

"Friendly name" is an editable EDF field but that doesn't affect syncing to Manage which uses the PC name.

If there are duplicate names within one client and one LAN that's probably something to fix anyway...?  We standardized on a naming formula like ClientInitials-PC-12 or perhaps LocationInitials.

16 hours ago, SteveYates said:

"Friendly name" is an editable EDF field but that doesn't affect syncing to Manage which uses the PC name.

If there are duplicate names within one client and one LAN that's probably something to fix anyway...?  We standardized on a naming formula like ClientInitials-PC-12 or perhaps LocationInitials.

Thanks, I tried Friendly name but realised that doesn't sync to Manage. There are no duplicates at one customer or LAN but they may exist across different customers. My main issue though is that our A/V system raises tickets to Manage using the FQDN and Automate uses just the hostname. I'm trying to find a way to get them all to use the same format so Manage can automatically create tickets for the correct configuration, company etc. No solution so far.