Henry Booth

Control Integration with Automate

Hi all

We are implementing a new instance of Connectwise Automate with Control (Screen Connect) integration.

We seem to have hit a bit of an issue. We have used Screen Connect for many years in a cloud instance where we manage multiple customer sites all with server and workstation sub groups. We have different access policies on the sub groups to allow unattended access to servers and prompt for client approval on connection for workstations.

We want the same configuration on the integrated Control instance however cannot work out how to apply different access roles against the groups via Automate. It does not seem to allow for grouping in the same way.

How do others manage this? Pretty sure what I am trying to do is not that specific given we need unattended access to servers but not to desktops.

Thanks

OK thanks I will take a look at this.

Would this be able to support different user permissions, for example our service desk analysts should always be prompted for consent, whereas our technical team do not require this and currently Control is set up for different role permissions to accommodate this.

I haven't found a way in Automate to do this given it connects through with the single account?

Agent template is applying to group, and machines inside this group will follow the remote access setting on agent template.

There should be a Server or Workstation group under Server Plans (or under Agent Type) to allow the use of it's own agent template. Once edit the default Server or Desktop agent template to suit what you need , send a command "Update Config" to update the agent. Then verified from the agent effective policy tile.

For a single user account, is  this user account has custom user class? If it is using default user class, you may try the above method.

You are correct, set this up in Control Server is much easier because permission is configured by the roles and apply to the user account. In Automate, it is using agent template to control the permission and apply to the machines within the group. Control is integrated into Automate in later time to replace the VNC. I don't think Automate software team has thought about this in detail.

A couple of points specifically for the Consent part of the Agent template (although I'm not sure how much this part helps you), consent is controlled via a parameter being included in the URL to the CWC server that launches the session. When the template is checked to force Consent it does by passing that parameter in (&consent=true or something like that). Which indicates that 1) Automate could easily incorporate per user settings for this and 2) it was more thought out than we realize however I don't think that capability or level of flexibility exists.

A side note, because this specific template setting is all on the Labtech side and not the agent, there's no need to update agent for these settings to take affect; however also keep in mind that this doesn't really help you at all. The only wait period would be from the agents themselves joining the group to have the template applied