Drew

Manufacturer variable

Hi everyone, I may need a lesson on how to search- but honestly, couldn't find anything on this. How do I pull in the manufacturer of the computer from a script? i.e. I need to know if it's a Dell box. I'm assuming I have to run a SQL Query or something, but maybe it's simpler than that?

Thanks in advance.

You can use powershell. This is how I automatically install DellCommandUpdate on Dell workstations (enterprise class) but you can adjust.

powershell.exe -executionpolicy bypass -command "$manufacturer = (Get-WmiObject -Class:win32_Computersystem).manufacturer;$PCModel = (Get-WmiObject -Class:win32_Computersystem).model;if ($manufacturer -like 'dell*'){if ($PCModel -like 'latitude*' -or $PCModel -like 'optiplex*' -or $PCModel -like 'precision*'){Write-Output $manufacturer}}else{}"

• Like 1

Better still, do it the Automate way. Rather than detecting the manufacturer in the script, only run the script on Dell machines.

As an example, to push Dell support assist:

• Create a search called something like Just-Dell-Workstations.
  • Create a group called something like Just-Dell-Workstations.
  • Populated the group with Just-Dell-Workstations search and limit it to that search
  • Create another search which is Machines-Missing-SupportAssist which selects only machines which do *not* have Support Assist installed
  • Create a script called Install-Dell-Support-assist
  • In the Just-Dell-Workstations group configuration > computers > scheduled scripts add a line to execute the Install-Dell-Support-Assist, but limit it to Machines-Missing-SupportAssist

The above will run the Install-Dell-Support-Assist script on only Dell workstations which do not have Support Assist already installed

No need to add checks in your script.

• Like 1